Why Do I Have to Wait This Long for Further Surgery?

I had a breast uplift and augmentation recently, was unhappy with the results and want the implants removed. Surgeon said I have to now wait 6 months before he will take them out. Read that it's a simple operation and can be done under local anaesthesia - why then do I have to wait 6 months. I thought it's all healed after 3 months.

Implant removal

+1

There is no medical reason to wait that long.  Your surgeon may be trying to make sure you are comfortable with your decision and are certain you want them removed.  I often recommend the same thing.

Breast Implant Removal 3 Months after Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

If you are unhappy with the size, then removing them may be OK at 3 months.  If there is an issue with where the implants rest, the surgeon may want to wait for a few more months.

+1

It sounds like your surgeon is trying to prevent you from making what he may think is an impulsive decision. There is nothing in terms of wound healing that would make removal a bad choice at this time. 

Many surgeons have experience with patients who may be initially unhappy, and request early revision, but wind up pleased given a bit of time. Implants can be at times "high riding" for several months, and this almost always improves. Patients unhappy due to this would be making an error is asking for implant removal at say two weeks.

However, by three months, if you are certain that you want the implants out, it seems reasonable to do so. You will need, as always before surgery, to understand the pros and cons, which your surgeon will review with you. Thanks and best wishes. 

Removal of implants

+1

Implants can be removed at anytime but he may want you to wait to get used to them. I am not your doctor to know the full details.

Waiting for revision breast surgery

+1

This is one of the reasons that doing a lift procedure and augmentation at the same time is fraught with problems that often end with a revision.

In general, healing is complete by two weeks but it takes the tissues about 3 months to settle or resolve even for a procedure like liposuction. Scar maturation, nerve recovery, and psychological adjustment can take many months more. 

Waiting for 6 months for a revision procedure is not unreasonable. Another option that might be considered after more time would be changing the size or type of the implant. Simply removing the implants at an early stage can certainly be done but may well result in further dissatisfaction and further revisional surgery. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Timing for Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction after breast surgery. I cannot speak for your plastic surgeon, but many plastic surgeons like to wait at least 6 months before revisionary breast surgery to allow the patient to physically and mentally adjust to the new “body image”.  Often, patients who are initially displeased with the results of breast surgery for one reason or another, are much happier with the results of surgery in the longer term.

On the other hand,  if a patient  is absolutely certain that she does not wish to  keep the breast implants,  they can be removed at any time.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.