I'm 18 - Should I Wait to Get a Labiaplasty?

I am 18 years old, and have had large labia minors since I can remember. It causes pain and discomfort during intercourse, which puts strain on my relationship. I plan on having kids a few years from now, but am nervous about natural childbirth since regular intercourse hurts so bad. It also causes me to be self conscious in any tight clothing. I live in the inland empire and I was wondering if I am a candidate for a labiaplasty now, or if I should wait.

Age for labiaplasty

+1

There is absolutely no reason for you to delay surgery if you are bothered by the appearacne of your labia, and they cause pain with intercourse and certain clothing. These are the main indications for labiaplasty and as long as you are 18 years of age and can sign consents for yourself, there is no reason to delay. Good Luck

Too young for labia reduction surgery

+1

There are no studies that show childbirth will affect labia reduction results.  If you are thinking of having children within the next year or so, I would ask that you wait. If that is not in your thought process at this time, the labia reduction surgery should help with the discomfort you are experiencing.  See a surgeon who has had experience in this procedure and discuss all of the potential risks associated with the surgery to make the best decision. 

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm

Labiaplasty - Is 18 Too Young?

+1

Dear 2508anon,

My general advice to patients who ask a question about surgery in relation to pregnancies is that it often depends on how soon you are planning to become pregnant (I realize it isn't always about planning...).  If you were 35, had two children and were planning on having a third, I would probably advise you to waiti until you've finished the pregnancies.

But at the age of 18 you are clearly and legally an adult for most things (not alcohol, perhaps, but you can join the military) and you are old enough to make a decision such as this.  If you are having the symptoms as you describe them, and have presumably been checked by your gynecologist, then I think you can reasonably consider this surgery.  It can make an enormous difference from both functional and aesthetic standpoints.  For either alone it would be justified; for both it is even more so.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Timing of labiaplasty

+1

If you are planning on having children relatively soon, I would say wait until after you are done. There is not much data on how labiaplasty results do with childbirth, but if you are planning a vaginal delivery it could in theory test the result.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

What age is too young for labiaplasty surgery?

+1

I recommend patients to be at least 18 years of age before getting labiaplasty to ensure that the labia minora has reached full growth. If you are in good health and have visited a gynecologist, you should have a very successful surgery.

Indications for Labiaplasty.

+1

The symptoms you describe and the feelings you express are those often related by patients coming in for the Labiaplasty procedure and in general are relieved by the surgery. You do not have to wait to have the procedure or be concerned about its affects with childbirth there should not be any.

Labiaplasty

+1

Reduction labiaplasty is a procedure which should provide you with relief from your symptoms. To date no study has truly evaluated the consequences of childbirth and its effects on an individual who had previously undergone a labiaplasty procedure.  

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/chicago-photo-gallery/labiaplasty/

Labiaplasty at age 18

+1

If you are suffering from the symptoms you listed, then no, you do not have to wait. I agree that you should make sure that nothing else is going on.  This can be done by consulting with your plastic surgeon.  Be sure to ask about experience and any patient referrals he/she may offer. 

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Pain from enlarged labia

+1

If you are truly having pain from enlarged labia minora interfering with sex or clothing, then it would make sense to have a surgical reduction.  Any surgeon treating you would want to make sure that that is indeed the problem causing the pain, and not something else.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon