Do I Wait or Have the Implant Remove As Soon As Possible?

I had a revision rhinoplasty and silicone was placed in my nose now causing me to have an infection. Its been 9 months since surgery however i've had the infection for about 6 months now on and off. Its pretty bad now and i believe it has to be removed. Should i have it removed as soon as possible or wait another 3 months to wait the one year I am suppose to?

Revision rhinoplasty and implant infection

+1

It all depends on how healthy the skin seems over the implant.  If the skin is thinning out and/or appears damged then don't wait, otherwise if the skin is healthy and the appearance of the nose is satisfying to you then you may want to give it a few more months.

Remove ASAP

+1

I think it should be removed as soon as possible. It caused a chronic infection. It may temporarily get better, but most likely will not disappear.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Infection after rhinoplasty with silicone implant

+1

Noses with implants made of a foreign material such as silicone that develop Infections that do not resolve after a long term course of antibiotics should have that implant removed. Chronic infections can permanently damage the nasal skin and cartilage structures making further surgery more difficult. Alloplastic  implants, such as yours, which are manufactured implants  not made from human tissue, have higher rates of infection than grafts that come from you or a tissue bank. Your graft will probably need to be replaced, so I would be sure not to place another alloplast in its place.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk of infection with facial implants

+1

If you have an infection near any cosmetic implant that does not respond to appropriate antibiotics within a few days it is best to remove the implant. Failure to do so can result in irreparable damage to the tissue. The 1 year rule for rhinoplasty revision has nothing to do with active infections. "Pretty bad now" sounds like it should be removed ASAP especially after 6 months of recurrent infections.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

If you have been having recurrent infections, I think it would be wise to remove the silicone now before it causes even more damage to your underlying structures and anatomy.  I have seen worse cases where the silicone has eroded the skin, which is one of the reasons why I prefer to use material from your own body.  Please seek attention with a specialist in facial plastic surgery as soon as possible.

Kimberly Lee, MD