Why Do I Have to Wait for a Dictation Before my Surgeons Office Can Fax my Courtesy Review to my Insurance Company?

I had my consultation with my surgeon for breast reduction surgery on 8/14/13. Its 8/23/13, I just called his office to see if they have faxed my medical records with my courtesy review, to my health insurance company, for preapproval for breast reduction surgery. His assistant said they are still waiting to receive my dictation before they can fax my info. What is the dictation they are talking about, why cant they just send my info to my insurer? Is this a Denver Co thing?

Pre approval process

+2

The plastic surgeon's note needs to be sent to the insurance company in order to start the pre approval process.  Why it is taking so long is only a question that can be answered by your physicians office.  

Insurance approval

+2

All insurance companies are different but there is usually no emergency need to approve a breast reduction. The insurance company is waiting to get the doctor's dictation so they can proceed with the approval. They usually require additional info from referring doctors about measures taken to improve and neck and back pain ( that usually are ineffective).

Most people with neck and back pain from large breasts have had it for years. There is a process that has to be followed and I suspect your plastic surgeon is doing all of the right things to get it approved. It doesn't happen overnight. Good luck. It=f you are a good candidate-and meet criteria it should be approved.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon