Should I Wait a Couple of More Years for Cosmetic Surgery?

What Age is Recommended for a Chin and Jowl Lift and at what age is a facelift recommnded for a chin and frown line lift?

I'm 43 years old and and about 5'8" and pretty slender. This is definitely a heriditary issue, Are there any dr.'s that are good but also not as expensive? I read somwhere that the sagging neck lift works better when you get older, but I have quite an insecurity about this now.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.I've always felt un attractive and was tormented by kids in school. Please. advice would really help, and again...finances are an issue, so what would be the best option for me? Thank you, Deenie

Neck and Jowel Concerns. Transitional Patients

+2
The situation you describe is not unusual. Patients often find themselves wanting enhancement but not necessarily ready for a larger procedure. Fillers and Botox often fulfill the patients needs. Sometimes radiofrequency or laser will do a nice job too. While a facelift will certainly address your concerns, you might want to consider a simpler liposuction procedure which can also help to reduce or eliminate joweling when mild. That is certainly a lower cost option. An examination would clarify whether this is an appropriate choice for you. Seek a face to face opinion and see what the physician has to say. All the best

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age is not a criteria for facial rejuevination

+2

You need a facelift when mirror on the wall tells you that you are ready.  Waiting just takes away the time you could have enjoyed your facelift, had you done it sooner.  However, quality facelifts will cost what they cost.  Looking for cheap deals are bad deals for the patient since they usually backfire.  There are no shortcuts to real thing.  Take a loan and invest in yourself and that may be best personal investment of all times.  Facelift is a serious business and should not be taken lightly.  Quality usually does not go on sale.    Find a reputable plastic surgeon and be willing to pay his price.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Age for facelift

+2

Some of the best results are in younger patients. Your age has nothing to do with it. Your appearance does. This is a triple win. You will look better right now, not change your aging process, and set you up for a better second lift in 10 years if you want. Go ahead! A mini lift may do the job. Prices around $6,000.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Chin and Jowl Lift

+1

Thank you for your question about improving your chin and frown lines.

• Botox should help the frown lines and avoid the cost of surgery.
  • Research shows that face and neck lifts last longer and look better done before at 50. Cost varies by region. I would find the best Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you can find a reasonable distance from you. Manhattan tends to be very expensive - if you live there, look for a face lift surgeon in the suburbs. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Age is not the only determining factor for facelift.

+1

Dear Deenie - Age alone does not determine whether you need surgery or not. I would need to see photos to give you the best advice, but in general if you have early signs of aging a facelift may help.  

If finances are an issue you may consider some fillers and Botox as a temporary solution.   I would NOT go to a budget plastic surgeon.  Aesthetic surgery of the face is not an area to get the cheapest surgeon around.  On the other hand, with some searching you should be able to find a reasonably priced well trained experienced surgeon.  Good Luck

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

When should i get a facelift?

+1

This is a very good question.  This really becomes a personal issue. the longer you wait the more dramatic the difference.  Some patient do not want the facelift to be noticed by people.  In this case you would do it when signs of aging become noticable like jowls or neck bands with loose skin.  I tell my patient you will know when the time is right for you because the mirror is not your friend in this type of situation.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Facial Surgery for Patients in their 40s

+1

Patients age differently.  Some patients who are in their 40s may be ready for a surgery while a patient in their 60s will not need it.  Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons.  If they all indicate that you are a candidate then you should consider that option seriously.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Age for surgery

+1

It is not uncommon for women to seek face lift surgery in their 40‘s.  If you feel that you are ready for surgery and your surgeons feels that you are a good candidate , then there is no need to wait until you are in your 50’s or 60’s.  In fact the younger you are typically the nicer the result after surgery and you will enjoy the benefits while you are still young.

Sam Naficy, MD

Waiting to have a facelift

+1

Certainly, there is no reason to wait to have cosmetic surgery.  Why not have the procedure and enjoy the results while you are relatively young.  The key is to find a doctor who will customize the procedure to address your individual concerns.  This will likely result in smaller incisions, shorter operating time, quicker recovery, and reduced price.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Face Lift

+1

I do not recommend waiting a couple of more years for a procedure for the reason you will get a better result.  The reason is that your skin responds better when it is younger.  The collagen and elastin are more vibrant.  A face/neck surgery looks more “natural” when done younger as there is less need to stretch the skin.  The additional elasticity of younger skin retains the “natural” look.  A facelift on severe damaged skin can look pulled, stretched, and very contrived and lacks a natural look and has that “plastic, artificial” look.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they will tell if you are a good candidate and what your expectations can be.  They may recommend a procedure now or in the future.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon