Should I Wait to Lose More Weight to Get a Consult for a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I'm 36, 5"8 and 210 lbs. 15 yrs ago, I lost 140 lbs, from a high of 330. I have fluctuated between 180 and 230 (highest was 258 - 9 mo pregnant). I want to have a mommy makeover but I want to get back to 180-185 lbs. first. I would like to schedule the surgery for the end of December, first of January, which is 6 months out, but my husband would like to have an approximate cost now. Would I be wasting time to get a consult with 25 to 30 lbs left to lose?

When Do I Consult About A Mommy Makeover?

+2

Congratulations on all the weight loss - that is amazing.  I think right now is the best time to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in the Mommy Makeover.  You actually have a mixed situation because you also lost a lot of weight and you have had multiple pregnancies.  The treatment of these two situations is slightly different so choose a plastic surgeon who has experience in both.  Don't set a weight loss goal before you have the consultation.  The gift to yourself after all this weight loss are the surgeries and not the consultation.  The consultation is merely a road map to help you decide what surgeries to have and when.  

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover-Lose Pregnancy Weight First for Best Result

+1

Thank you for your question and congratulations.

There is no question that you will get the best Mommy Makeover Result if you lose more weight before surgery.

Tightening the Tummy with a Tummy Tuck is difficult with fat under the skin. If you lose ,more weight, the tummy skin will losen and your Tummy Tuck result will be better.

Liposuction can be doine during a Mommy Makeover but it is better if you can lose the weight naturally.

Keep up the good work.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Timing of consult and further weight loss before body contouring surgery

+1

Hi there-

I don't think that the fact you still have a bit of weight to lose before surgery should keep you from beginning the process. I actually think this is the smart way to go.

Please don't commit to any particular procedure until you have found the right professional to advise you on your desired outcome and the options available to you.

Armando Soto, MD

Mommy makeover - tummy tuck

+1

As long as you are not morbidly obese (and you are not) it is more important that your weight is stable before surgery than your weight be a specific number. There is nothing wrong with seeing prospective surgeons now to get an idea of what the procedure involves, the costs involved and who you want to do it. That way you can plan for surgery. You would not be wasting your time and the price quotes you receive should not change even if you lose some more weight before surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Need to lose weight before consult for Mommy Makeover?

+1

No you don't need to loose anymore weight before the procedure either, because all the sub-cu fat is removed with the excess skin on your tummy and your breasts probably don't have much fat left in them. Patients become super motivated to lose more weight after the procedure because of the big change they see in the mirror from the procedure. 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

When to get consultation

+1

Thanks for your great question.  I think it is an excellent time to get a cosultation.  At your visit, you will learn if you like/trust your doctor, know the costs involved, and know to plan your life around surgery and recovery.  Further, your doctor will be able to give you you pre-operative weight loss goals.  Finally, I know I and many of my colleagues are already booked solidly around the holidays with only a few surgery openings left for a long case like yours so it would be prudent to schedule your time.  If you were my patient, I would schedule us to meet again in October to see where you are at particularly with any breast goals. Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

You could go ahead and proceed with body contouring procedures if you wish.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

You could go ahead and proceed with body contouring procedures if you wish. for the most predictable results, it is best for you to be at or near the weight you are going to stay.  If you lose at lot or gain a lot after the surgery, your results will be very unpredictable.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Not too early to look

+1

Go ahead and schedule a consult now - you'll get a chance to interview your surgeon, get a cost estimate, and have a concrete goal in your mind with respect to your weight loss.

I would recommend being close to your goal weight for the best results, but fluctuation of 5-10 pounds won't affect your results appreciably.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover after weight loss

+1

Good for you for losing the weight!!

You should be at a stable weight (plateau) before considering any contouring surgery, but the cost for a "mommy makeover" (tummy tuck, breast enhancement, possible liposuction) isn't going to change if you lose another 5-25 pounds.

By all means start lining up a few consultations now: you want to be fully educated so you can make intelligent choices regarding surgical options and choice of surgeons.  Be sure to see your prospective surgeon's credentials (insist that he/she be Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery) and review his/her portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tummy tuck consultation is a the best way to learn about surgical options

+1

Congrats are your fabulous weight loss and thank you for this really interesting question.  I believe that a consultation at this time would be very helpful in preparing for your surgery, even if it is to be several months away.  Beyond the financial concerns, there is time off work, childcare, household care, etc that must be planned for during the postoperative period.  While your body may change with more weight loss between now and then, it is unlikely that the surgical plan will change drastically enough to required different surgical fees or operating room time from what is planned.  If you were my patient, I would want to see you close to the surgery to have appropriate preop photos and to review the surgical plan, but I see benefit in having your consultation now even if surgery is months away.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon