Wait to Have More Kids Before Getting Breast Implants?

I just had a baby a few months ago and after breastfeeding, my breasts are saggy and not as full as they used to be. I have always considered getting Breast implants and feel like now is the time since I can barely look at my breasts in the mirror anymore.

However, I know I am going to have more kids in the future. Should I get the implants done now, or wait til after I have more children?

Implants and pregnancy

+1

If you are definitely thinking of having more kids in the near future, then I would wait to get implants.  Changes will occur between now and the additional pregnancies which may affect the implants if you do it  now.

Wait and do it once

+1

If you do it and have more children, there is a high probability you will need to do it again. So, if you can stand to wait and if you think you might have more children soon, I would suggest you postpone. Meantime you can research the best doctor in your area and work toward geting it done when the time is right.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

If you're considering more children in near future, put off implants

+1

I would advise you to defer breast implants until completion of child bearing. There are many factors that will effect the ultimate appearance of your breasts and it is wise to wait until you have a stable outcome prior to insertion of the breast implants as you may benefit from other procedures such as a breast lift.

Agree with waiting

+1

I agre with the other responding plastic surgeons that you would be better off in the long term by waiting until you have finished having children and breast-feeding. You could have the surgery but the changes you see with additional children may cause more recurrence of sagging. I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Wait.

+1

Hi! Your breasts will change more with one or two more pregnancies. They may become "emptier" and more sagging. So, in Manhattan, we recommend waiting until you are through having babies to do a breast augmentation.

Then, you may need a breast lift as well as implants.

It is safe to have surgery now (it won't interfere with your pregnancies). But if you do have surgery now, you may well need a revision after your future pregnancies.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

All bets are off...

+1

As you have seen, all bets are off as to what will happen to your breasts with pregnancy. If you are planning to have another child soon, you are better off waiting. However, you need to judge your individual dissatisfaction with your breasts and the benefit a surgical enhancement will provide you for the length of time you have the enhancement. That is, you have to decide how unhappy you are with your current breasts and how much benefit it will give you before you get pregnant again. Is one year worth it? Two? Only you can determine that. The thing about cosmetic surgery is that patients want it when they want it.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Implants

+1

My advice would be to wait until you are finished having children.  Chances are your breasts will change more with additional pregnancies.  Surgery now may mean additional surgery later on.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD