Should I Wait to Get a Breast Augmentation After I Loose All the Weight That I Want?

I am 43 and have never been happy with my breast. I'm a C cup but unfortunately age has not been good to them, they do sag very badly. I have finally decided to get a lift and augmentation, but I'm in the process of loosing weight. Should I wait before I get this done till I get to my ideal weight?

Weight loss and breast lift and augmentation

+2

I would hold off having a breast lift and augmentation until you have completed losing all the weight that you hoped to lose,

Losing weight before Surgery

+2

It is very important to be at your goal weight before having any type of cosmetic surgery. The body changes significantly with weight loss, especially the breasts. Breasts are made of 50% fat so having surgery before losing the weight may result in additional procedures thereafter.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Should I finish loosing weight before having a breast lift with implants?

+2

If you are actively loosing weight, it is recommended to finish the weight loss process and wait between 4-6 months while your weight is stable before undergoing a breast lift. Otherwise, your breasts may continue to drop after the lift.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and weight loss

+2

Women can lose and gain weight in their breasts, so it is always advisable to loose the weight before any breast surgery to obtain the best results possible. Usually, a five to 10 pound weight loss is not an issue, but any more than ten pounds should be lost first.

Donna Rich, MD

Delay Augmentation Until Ideal Weight Reached

+2

Especially since you are in the process of trying to reach your ideal weight, you definitely should wait until you reach that point before having your augmentation/lift performed.  If you have the procedure performed too early in the weight reduction process, further weight loss may well lead to deflation of your newly constructed breast envelope and cause recurrent sagging.

John Whitt, MD

Weight Loss goes before most Cosmetic Surgery!

+2

Weight loss is like sands shifting in the sea. Whatever we do to correct assymetry, sagging and wrinkles may only get worse after weight loss. It is for these reasons that all my patients in the process of weight loss - lose weight first, then have plastic surgery.

a couple of rules;

1- I set a mark for weight loss as the reasonable goal weight, not a weight that the patient canot reasonably maintain over time. Usually the goal is less weight loss than the patients own goal.

2-A good weight loss regimen includes a sensible eating plan (not a diet - diets all fail!) and muscle building plan. Cardiovascular is good- muscle bulding is better.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Weight loss before augmentation

+2

Being as close to your ideal body weight as possible will give you the best result with a breast augmentation and breast lift.  If you have the surgery before and further loose significant weight your may have significant recurrent sagging of the tissues.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Recommend losing your weight before surgery

+2

If you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight and are considering breast lift and breast augmentation, I would recommend that you wait until you get close to achieving your desired weight.  Losing weight can affect the amount of sagging you have in your breasts.  After you lose more weight, you may need more of a breast lift or larger implants than you would now.  That is why I would recommend that you lose your weight before having the breast surgery.

James Tang, MD

Pictures needed

+2

To answer a question like this we would need information such as your current height and weight, breast measurements. Pictures would help . The amount of breast mass and the thickness of the breast tissue would help. With only the statement that you are a C cup and want to lose weight it is not posible to tell. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Should I lose all the weight before undergoing breast augmentation?

+2

It is always advisable to undergo all the anticipated weight loss prior to undergoing breast augmentation. This will stabilize the breast so that your surgeon knows exactly what he is starting with. Also sometimes excess weight loss may result in sagging breasts which may also require a simultaneous lifting procedure. You will have a better result if you first lose the weight.

George Lefkovits, MD