Should I Wait Before Having Another Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a revision rhino about 10 months ago that took about 3.5 hours with some ear carilage. I have been very patient for the swelling to subside but know I'm starting to get worried as my tip is still bigger than I ultimately want. My doctor injected a small steroid to help because I have thick skin around my tip. Can i still hope for a reduction in swelling this late in the game? The overall result is okay, it's just bigger around the tip area! thanks

Another Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

I suggest you be patient for another 6-8 months. It can take 18-24 months for tip swelling to resolve after revision in an individual with thick skin.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Not to worry, you still have a significant amount of healing to go. In general, the final result of a rhinoplasty may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling resolves after the first three months, and the remainder goes down over time. Swelling is most directly influenced by thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether tip work was performed, and whether or not the procedure was open or closed.

Since your procedure was a revision with tip work and you have thick skin, you will still be considerably swollen after 10 months. These three factors will contribute to a longer healing time, and your final result may not be evident until closer to the two year mark.  A combination of 5-FU and Kenalog (a steroid) can be used post-operatively to help reduce swelling. There are some possible side effects that may occur such as white spots and indentation. But I have performed hundreds of these injections with no complications. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon to see what he/she advises to reduce some of your swelling. Thanks and best of luck with your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty Timing

+1

A good general rule of thumb for a revision procedure is 6 months.  However, the exact timing depends on a number of factors including your overall health and what was done during your procedure.  After 10 months, there is probably little that will change over the next few months.  I'd recommend you make an appointment with your surgeon and have a discussion about what you might like improved.  I hope you find this helpful.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Bulbous Tip

+1

Hi,

If you had an ethnic nose with a thick bulbous tip, at 10 months you should see some good results. Steroid injections may help, but if the bulbous properties where not addressed with the first surgery you will likely need a revision.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Depends on your skin type and what was done

+1

The resolution of soft tissue swelling can take a year or even longer depending on how thick your skin is and the scope of the surgery. If you have fair, thin skin, most of the swelling should have resolved by now. If your skin in thin but your tip sstill looks too wide to you, I think you could entertain another revision. If your skin in thick, it may be prudent to wait another 6-12 months. 

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon