After Explantation - How Long Should I Wait to Get a Lift or New Implants?

6 years ago I had 475cc breast implants placed sub-mammary via peri-areola. Prior to surgery I was a size 34B with significant ptosis. (resulting from breastfeeding all 4 of my children). Originally I would have had a breast lift done but at the time I couldn't afford it financially or take the time off from work. I would like to have my implants removed and have a lift. Is it better to wait a certain period of time after having the implants removed before I get a breast lift?

Removing breast implants and a lift later

+2

I would recommend waiting at least 3 months for your tissues to heal from your explant surgery.  This way, the skin will be relaxed and well healed for the eventual lift.

Breast lift with implant removal

+2

Breast lift or mastopexy is sometimes needed after removal of large breast implants and especially if there is droop of the breast over the surface of the implants. The breast implants then appear to ride up high above the nipple. If you are undecided it can pay to have the implants removed, and decide on the lift at a later time, though if you are sure the procedures are easily combined.

peterejohnsonmd

Lift after explanation timing

+2

It is probably the same to lift immediately after explantation in your case.  A significant lift will be needed because you say you needed one prior to augmentation, now your tissues have been stretched out even further.  Good luck

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Removal of implants and mastopexy (breast lift) can be done concurrently.

+2

From your description, I see no reason why the implants cannot be removed and a breast lift done concurrently. 

Breast lift timing after implant removal

+2

If your implants are saline, and you are certain you want them removed, then your operating surgeon can deflate the implants in the office to allow the breast tissue to shrink whatever it will shrink, and then do the deflated implant removal and lift at the same operation. If you have gel implants or you can't handle the thought of deflation before the removal, you can also have the implants removed at the same time as a lift. The downside to this is that it is probably better to allow the tissues to shrink a bit, because then there might be less loose tissue to deal with. However, the shrinkage may not be much.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting after Breast Implant Removal?

+1

There are many different ways to approach your situation.

Often, breast implant removal and breast lifting can be done during the same procedure. If you decide to wait to have the breast lift performed,  then waiting a period of 3 to 6 months is reasonable.

Deflating a saline implant before permanent removal.

+1

If the implant is made of saline, I may choose to deflate it before removing it, which helps it to come out easier. The surgery itself lasts about a half hour to forty-five minutes.

Breast lift after implant removal

+1

Sometimes it is very difficult to perform a lift on a patient who has very little breast tissue over the implants. You may be better off having them removed and then a lift at another time once the breasts have settled.