Should I Wait for Abdominal Lipo and Breast Impants Until After Kids?

I am considering lipo on lower abs for a horrible little pouch that no matter how skinny I get (99 Lbs.) it is still there. I plan to have kids in 2-3 years, should I wait. I am also getting breast implants in June, or should I wait?

Get Liposuction now if you are not going to have kids for a year or more.

+2

Liposuction is such a great rewarding procedure that you should do it Now since you will usually be very happy with the way you look.  There are no negative consequences later from lipo if you get pregnant in a year or more so enjoy the new you while you can. 

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery and future pregnancies, no easy answer

+2

The question frequently comes up concerning breast augmentation or liposuction and future pregnancies. There is a fear that pregnancy after breast implants will 'ruin' the results, or that with weight gains the effects of liposuction may disappear. If your family is planned for the future, you have to weigh the enjoyment of looking good and feeling good about it for say three years, or accepting things as they are with the hope of getting to them after completing a family. If the decision is only six months away, it makes sense to wait, however if the value of the augmentation is high, the improvement important to you, you may not wish to wait. We have had many patients become pregnant after breast augmentation without any change in the result. Liposuction too can survive pregnancy if you exercise and return to your prior body weight. Only you can know if the two to three year delay will satisfy you.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/liposuction

Breasts and body change shape with pregnancy

+2

Should you wait until after having children to have aesthetic surgery on your belly and breasts? It is really a personal decision based on how uncomfortable you now are with your appearance and how willing you are to have to redo surgery after your pregnancies.

Basically:

1. Breasts will change with pregnancy and nursing. I have several patients who have come right back to shape after nursing, even with implants in place. Others have come for revision surgery.

2. Liposuction of the belly before pregnancy is probably fine to do. There are no large skin excisions and no muscle tightening done with lipo alone, so there is little to lose if you stretch it all out with pregnancy.

Web reference: http://www.artfulsurgery.com/procedures/breast/augmentation/gallery.php

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

OK to have breast implants before having kids.

+2

Hi.

1) You can have breast implants anytime. The breasts change in unpredictable ways with babies, whether or not you have implants. It's possible you will need a touch up when you are done with pregnancies.

2) But I would put off any abdominal procedure until after your pregnancies. You may well need some type of tummy tuck at that time rather than just liposuction.

Cosmetic body-contouring before pregnancy

+2

Since cosmetic surgery is an elective, quality of life issue, it depends on how meaningful or valuable the change is to you. There is no right or wrong answer. Three years may be meaningful while 6 months probably is not. Also, since your body may change or not change significantly after pregnancy, you have to factor in the possibility of another operation after childbirth.

Timing of Plastic Surgery and your Family

+1

Hi there-

There really is no right answer here...

What you need to consider and weigh are the benefits to you of achieving your desired body contour now versus the potential that you will need revision surgery if your pregnancy (or pregnancies) cause changes in your appearance.

If the idea of having to go through more procedures after your family is complete would be objectionable to you, and you don't mind waiting to achieve the breast and body contour you desire until after your family is complete, then I would say you may be better off waiting...

On the other hand, if you think that being able to achieve your desired body contour now would be very important to you and you wouldn't mind if you needed a revision after having babies, you would likely be very happy proceeding now.

The most important thing is for you to find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery that you like and feel you can trust, and visit for a consultation.

Need some advice on how to find one? Please read this:

http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#699

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Abdominal lipo and implants before or after kids

+1

In my opinion, you don't need to delay your implants until after pregnancy unless that's your preference. Certainly a pregancy will alter your abdomen, which may change the operation that you would require for improvement. My general rule of thumb is that if you plan on three or more years before pregnancy, you should be good to go. If you are one year from getting pregnant you might want to wait until after for the tummy work.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Doing your Cosmetic Plastic Surgery before Babies

+1

Should I get my implants and lower tummy done before or after babies?

In the ideal world, all our female patients would wait until after child bearing has been completed and the "dust has settled" on the breast and abdominal tissue to undergo aesthetic breast and abdominal contouring surgery. However, many women do prefer to enjoy optimized breast and body contour in the years prior to their child bearing years and then, perhaps, undergo breast and body enhancements after children if required.

If a patient is very close to having children, then it does make more sense to wait unitl after pregnancies and breast feeding, as these processes often lead to significant soft tissue distortion and laxity, that will usually compromise the results you have achieved with your plastic surgery. There is a small risk that you may not be able to breast feed successfully after breast augmentation and that should be considered. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is a life style and cosmetic choice, so the decision is really up to you. Of course a consultation with a board certified expert is essential before deciding upon a course of action.

Timing of Breast Augmentation and Tummy Liposuction vis a vis Pregnancy(ies)

+1

There are no hard rules as to WHEN you should have cosmetic surgery; before or after you completed your family. Pregnancy and especially several pregnancies usually change the abdomen irreversibly in most women. They are associated with mostly saggy breasts although some women are left with larger breasts.

If you are truly bothered by your breasts and have no plans to have children for another 2-3 years you may wish to go ahead and have your augmentation now. You have to realize that the result may not last after your pregnancies and require a lift. You may also have difficulty breast feeding.

The same holds for Liposuction. You can have it now realizing that pregnancy MAY be associated with weight gain but is ALWAYS associated with muscle distention and separation.

If you are conservative and are willing to weight, the best time to have these operations is 6 months after your last delivery, when your breast size and weight are stable.

Dr. P. Aldea

Pregnancy and breast implants, liposuction

+1

If your plans for children are 2-3 years away, I would opt for doing the surgery now. Your body will change during and after surgery, but it's impossible to predict how much it will change and whether or not it will affect your results. Most patients are able to breastfeed after implant surgery. I suggest asking your plastic surgeon about this as well, as he or she will be able to give you a more detailed answer based upon your anatomy. Good luck, /nsn.