Should I Wait Until Am 21?

Am 18 years old and i want to have a nose job so bad i hate how my nose looks but i don't want to change it completely i just want to narrow it and have a smaller tip. but my mother and aunts kept telling to wait until am 21 because my face is still growing and from what i have seen or read that 15 year old girls are doing it?

Facial growth is complete by 18 years in the female.

+2

Whether or not you should wait until the age of 21 to have a rhinoplasty is not related to facial growth. Your nose is fully developed.

Appropriate age for a rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks for the question... For girls, it is advisable to wait until around 2 years after menarche, when menstrual periods begin. This means teenage girls are generally candidates around age 15 or 16. For boys, facial maturation takes a couple of years longer, so 17 or 18 may be more appropriate. Each young man or woman is different and it's important to take into account emotional readiness for surgery as well. I've attached an article I wrote about this subject below. 

I would recommend that you seek consultations with board-certified surgeons in your area who specialize in rhinoplasty, to help ensure that you get the best possible results. I have found computer imaging to be an extremely helpful process, for establishing a mutual understanding and agreement upon the desired aesthetic goals.

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate Age for Rhinoplasty

+1

The vast majority of people are old enough at 18 years old to undergo a rhinoplasty.  I see a lot of patients who have a rhinoplasty at this age because usually this is the time period between high school and college so most take advantage of this transition to have their procedure.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

18 year old and Rhinoplasty

+1

For an 18 year old female, growth is likely finished.  If you have not grown in height for a year or longer, your nose will not change.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Should I wait until I am 21?

+1

In general, the minimum recommended age to have rhinoplasty performed is 15 years of age for girls and 16 for boys. At 18, you will be old enough to have the procedure. I would recommend consulting with a board certified and experienced specialist in your area when you are considering having surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Age and Rhinoplasty

+1

You can get your rhinoplasty anytime.  As a few surgeons reported earlier, 15- 18yo is a common age for rhinoplasty.  A lot of people have their noses done while in high school.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Age 18 versus 21-year-old rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable to undergo rhinoplasty age 18 since the facial and nasal bones  have quit growing.  Look for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and consider doing computer imaging as well prior to the surgery.

Age limit on Rhinoplasty for females?

+1

No, rhinoplasty can be performed as early as 16 on females. Females mature faster physically than males. If your nose bothers you and you understand and accept the risks of surgery, I suggest you process as soon as possible!

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Age and Timing for Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, I will perform rhinoplasty on female patients as young as 15-16 years old and on male patients as young as 17-18 years old. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in girls can be done at 14-15 years of age.

+1

Rhinoplasty in girls can be done at 14-15 years of age. There is no reason to wait as the nose will not grow any more.