I have Lost my Waistline After Tummy Tuck, Will Lipo Help Contour?

About five years ago, after 2 kids and several years of breastfeeding, I had a breast reduction. I requested a tummy tuck as well. I was not a good candidate for the TT as I was still overweight. I had a full TT and I no longer seem to have a waistline. My curves are gone and my upper ab area is larger than the lower abs. Can liposuction contour my waistline? I am currently on a sensible diet and exercise program to lose my remaining lbs but I am uncertain if it will give me optimal results.

+1

From what you are describing, it appears that your issue is one of intra-abdominal fat and liposuction will not correct that. It will be a matter of losing weight and letting the intra-abdominal fat become less and allow there to be a shape change. There is no surgical procedure that will remove the intra-abdominal fat.

Liposuction - Will Lipo Help Contour Waistline?

+1

It may.  If you have enough extra fat in the right areas - and in this case that means in between the skin and the abdominal wall - then removing some of that fat should help produce a better contour at your waistline.  But if relatively more of that fat is deep to the abdominal wall (ie it's around your intestines) then it's not going to be accessible via a liposuction.  It may be hard for you to make that determination but it's pretty straightforward.  Grab the area in question and then tighten your abdominal muscles.  The more if it that's still there, the greater the likelihood that lipo will be helpful to you.  And for an even more precise determination, a few consults with PS's should be enough to give you the info you need.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction after Tummy tuck?

+1

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination,  it is very  likely that liposuction surgery will improve contours of the abdominal wall and flank areas after tummy tuck surgery.

It will be in your best interest to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person to discuss your goals.

Abdominoplasty

+1

Without photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to know what is going on what surgery if any would be helpful. The upper abdominal prominence you describe can be anything from loose muscle that can be tightened by revision abdominoplasty, fat that can be liposuctioned, excess skin that can be removed by revision abdominoplasty to a hernia that can be repaired.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Lost waistline after tummy tuck -- options?

+1

This question is hard to answer without photographs or a personal examination. Liposuction can contour the waist line and the upper abdomen if the upper abdomen fullness is due to fatty tissue and not abdominal wall laxity. As always, it is best to be close to your ideal body weight before any plastic surgery procedure, especially liposuction.

Donna Rich, MD

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Without a physical exam  it is hard to say  what would benefit you.  Liposuction can be helpful in some situations.

Tumescent liposuction after tummy tucks give great results!

+1

Tumescent liposuction is such a great contour procedure under local anesthesia and shapes the waistline easily- especially after tummy tucks.  You can be back to work in 2 days and easy to undergo.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction is great for abdominal contouring

+1

Liposuction is great for contouring the abdomen after a tummy tuck.  I frequently combine these two procedures and the patients love the look that they get.  It's hard to give you an exact answer without seeing you, but it sounds as though liposuction is the way to go.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS