Why is Waist Bigger After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuch with muscle tightening, a lot of skin was removed and also a bit of fat. My waist is bigger then before, what is the reason for this?

Waist bigger after tummy tuck

+2

As you can see from the responses below, anything from fat accumulation, to fluid accumulation that needs to be drained, swelling that might require compression, to surgical readjustment of tissues (particularly with body lift type procedures), to a surgical mishap.

Seeing a few board certified plastic surgeons may be a reasonable option.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/index.php

Bigger waist after a tummy tuck - Michelin man syndrome

+2

One other possibility is that you might have had some rolls and folds preop and put the waist of your garment in the narrowest one.  During the surgery, the rolls and folds are released and the deepest fold is gone, hence the larger waist size in some folks. 

Waist after tummy tuck

+1

You may still be in the healing process. As time goes by, hopefully your waist will be much smaller. If your plastic surgeon used an "internal corset" you should expect a smaller waistline. The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Web reference: http://michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

When was your surgery? If recently, it could be due to swelling.  I would suggest contacting your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation. Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Why is Waist Bigger After Tummy Tuck

+1

If it is soon after your surgery, this could be due to swelling.  If it is more than 6 weeks after surgery, it is possible that you have gained weight.  Another possibility is if you had liposuction of multiple areas and not your waist, your waist may now look larger comparitively speaking.  I recommend seeing your surgeon and discussing this concern.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Every picture tells a story

+1

Without preop and postop  pictures ,weight comparisons  and  waist measurements it is not possible to say if your claim is valid. If you have gained weight that would explain it, if it is right after and there is swelling that is a possibility. You need to discuss this with your surgeon.    

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Bigger waist after tummy tuck

+1

It depends how long it is been since the tummy tuck was done and if liposuction was done at the same time or not. Soon after surgery it could be just swelling but if its been a few months then its tough to say without pictures or details of the surgery. A tummy tuck with abdominal muscle tightenig should narrow the waist eventually, but you may be talking about the flanks area which a lot of times has to be liposcutioned to avoid a wide appearance of the lower lateral abdomen.

Web reference: http://www.hallakplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-san-diego/

Can the waist be bigger after tummy tuck

+1

Without weight gain to explain the situation, it is difficult to understand how your waist could be bigger after a tummy tuck. Ordinarily, the muscle repair will narrow the waist, and fat removal or liposuction in the waist and flank will also address the area nicely. Ask your surgeon for a photo both before and after, and put a tape measure to the test. It is hard to imagine that you can't be better off after tummy tuck.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Why is Waist Bigger After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Swelling if less than 3 months from surgery. Vs weight gain after 3 months from surgery. Seek a second opinion. From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski

Tummy tuck and waist

+1

If your surgery was recently, the waist may be larger because of swelling. If longer than a year, sometimes intraabdominal fat pushes out to the sides and causes the waist line to be larger.