I had Voluma and Perlane injected in my cheeks and now have a visible ridge under my eye. Can this be reversed? (photos)

I have a very visible ridge when resting and a strange indentation when I smile. Is this something that can be reversed or corrected with more injections, or should I leave it alone to dissipate on its own?

Definitely reversible.

+2
Voluma or any filler injected into the cheek can sometimes accentuate hollowness under the eyes. If this is the case, additional filler can be injected along the orbital rim, closer to the socket of the eye. This is an off-label injection, and I prefer Restylane. Or the Perlane in Voluma can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase if there is an overcorrection. Either way, this is treatable, and it's hard to tell from a photo what the best option will be. When you dissolve, you don't need to dissolve all the product. Just the little bit that is creating the ridge.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma and Perlane injections into the cheeks.

+1
You should discuss this the doctor that did the injections.

These agents can be dissolved with the reversal agent.

Timothy Connall, MD

Hyaluronic Acid Gel Fillers

+1
From your description you have had hyaluronic acid gel fillers after which you developed this prominence. 
Fortunately, this group of fillers can be "dissolved" by injection with hyaluronidase.
If you have this performed ask the physician to first skin test you to check if you are allergic to hyaluronidase prior to having it injected to "dissolve" the fillers.
If you do not have it injected the ridge should improve over time and diminish.  The time frame varies between patients, facial location and type of filler.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ridge from injectables can be reversed

+1
I agree with previous comments. This area can be treated with Vitrase to reverse the undesirable ridge of product you currently see. Please see someone experienced in injecting Vitrase-while it usually works wonderful, there are still some risks associated with it. Good luck.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Filler Ridge

+1
Kelise,

I agree with the other physicians here.  This is the tear trough and this can be corrected with injection of the medication Hyaluronidase or Vitrase to "dissolve" the hyaluronic acid filler.  Hope you like your result once that is removed.  

Jennifer Janiga, MD
Reno Dermatologic Surgeon

I had Voluma and Perlane injected in my cheeks and now have a visible ridge under my eye. Can this be reversed?

+1
Firstly I never would use either Voluma or Perlane in combination.. Second the area in question on the posted photo is the tear trough, another non area for these to be used. Third I might try Hyaluronidase injection to dissolve. Fee $1,000. 

Vitrase works like magic

+1
Vitrase will dissolve that ridge in seconds. Although the two filers you used are excellent, one should be careful injecting them past the orbital rim. They absorb more water than Restylane & Belotero which are the best filers for this region. Belotero is the most forgiving but does not last as long as Restylane in my opinion. However if you need a superficial injection Beltero is the way to go. What happen to you is very common, it happens to even the best injectors. Best part is that is a easy fix.

Hooman Khorasani, MD

Voluma and Perlane Injections in the Tear Trough

+1
The photos appear to show a ridge in the vicinity of the right tear trough.  Neither Perlane nor Voluma are good options for injection into this area because of the problems you are describing and others.  Luckily, this can be treated with hyaluronidase injections.  Since both are relatively thicker formulations of hyaluronic acid, several treatments will be required. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon