How Do I Go About Voicing my Disappointment with out Hurting the Surgeons Feelings?

I had my surgery for breast enlargement a week ago. They put in 325cc in. I use to be an A cup. I wish i went bigger though. But my surgeon said at 4'11 and 95 lbs any bigger it would have looked fake and i would have had back problems..However I was under the impression before surgery my surgeon knew exactly what i wanted. I know they havent settled yet, but i was hoping they set higher up and they were more in a fixed position where there was no bounce at all and no droop.

Voicing Your Concerns to Your Surgeon?

+1

Most surgeons like to get feedback from their patients. In your case, it is very early in the recovery process and so it is difficult for you to know what the final results will be.  

Allow your body to heal and the implant to settle before deciding that you do not like the results - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Disappointment after surgery

+1

At a week post-op it is far too early to tell what your final result will be. Without pictures it is hard to evaluate or give you an opinion about your breasts now. You should be aware that the larger the implants, the more likely they are to droop and move as well as look fake. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon who may be able to explain what is happening and what, if anything, can be done to make you more satisfied. If we don't know what our patient's concerns are, we cannot help, so please do talk with your surgeon.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast issues and surgeon

+1

You should voice your concerns with your surgeon.  These are things that should be discussed before surgery.

Breast

+1

Our goals in our practice is to hear what our patients want because they are the ones that have to live with it. We do go over the benefits, risk and give our professional opinion but as the patient you determine what route you want to take. That said 5 days is still too soon to determine what you will look like. It takes month for everything to settle and fall into place, give your body time to heal.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Be honest with your plastic surgeon

+1

I think all good surgeons want to hear feedback from patients - good or bad. It helps us refine our process and is important for good patient communication. You should discuss your concerns ASAP with your surgeon.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Surgeon's feelings

+1

It is touching that you do not want to hurt your surgeon's feelings by voicing disappointment in your result. An old colleague of mine inspired the same loyalty in his patients: they came to me for their complications and revisions because they didn't want to hurt his feelings either. He could then claim that he, personally, never had bad results or poor outcomes!

However, there may be some truth in what your surgeon tells you. Not everything is possible in plastic surgery. As surgeons it is vital that we educate our patients as to what can be done and what to expect. It is the responsibility of the patient to weigh this against what he or she really wants. Compromises may have to be made. Realistic expectations must be established. Putting implants in a fixed high position is not something that would seem feasible with the state of the art as it is.

J. Brian Boyd, MD