Is 3 vials of Sculptra for my face too much at one time? Is it safe?

I'm 44 with a thin face. My PS wanted to do 2 vival but I talked him into doing 3 because I want to get results without having to make so many trips. Is this safe?

More isn’t always better.

+1
The important thing to remember here is that Sculptra® in and of itself isn’t going to give you immediate results the way an HA filler would. Instead, Sculptra® works by promoting the body’s natural collagen production, and it’s the collagen itself that adds volume and improves the look of deep lines and wrinkles over time. Scheduling two sessions of Sculptra® treatments is the norm for the product, and you may not get the results you hope for by scheduling 3 vials all at once right now. Of course, it’s impossible for me to say which option is going to work best for you without a physical examination.

+1
Yes.You acted responsibly by seeking out a surgeon for your injectable treatment. Listen to him and/or her. An overuse of Sculptra can create soft tissue complications. It is understandable that cost is a concern.The cost of surgery and/or procedures should never be an element in the decision of a surgeon’s ability to do his work appropriately and safely.The goal is to achieve the results that the patient desires, but to do it safely.

Michael Stefan, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes, 3 vials of Sculptra can be performed at one time and is safe in SOME patients.

However, Sculptra treatments are more commonly done in a series.  Placing too much Sculptra in an area can pre-dispose to inflammatory reactions and/or nodules.  Sculptra is an excellent product to add volume to certain areas of the face, but requires patience and commitment on the part of the patient to undergo the necessary amount of treatments (and vials) to get the best results.  That is, the results come in months (not days or weeks) from the initial treatment, and may require 2-5 treatments depending on the person's volume loss or hollowness.

You can read more about Sculptra by clicking on the link below.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Sculptra

+1
A proper examination of your skin would be the best way to determine if 3 vials is needed. Using 3 syringes of sculptra is common. Three full vials of sculptra is a lot more of the product. It is important to have an experienced provider administer sculptra as the results of it are longer lasting. 

David Goldberg, MD

Is 3 vials of Sculptra too much at one time?

+1
You would need to be examined to determine the appropriate number of Sculptra vials to use in a treatment.  I have used 3 vials in one treatment, but that would be in someone with severe loss of volume.  I generally only use one or two vials per treatment.  Because Sculptra is a stimulating agent, you get a better effect from repeated treatments rather than using more than needed in a session.  The incidence of side effects can increase with using more product as well.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

How many vials of Sculptra per session?

+1
Since your fibroblasts respond more robustly after the second and third treatments with Sculptra than after the first, and because side effects including tenderness, nodules and bruising are more likely with larger volumes, I would recommend you have only one or two vials per treatment and schedule multiple sessions rather than have three vials in one treatment.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

3 Vials of Sculptra

+1
My general treatment protocol with Sculptra is to inject 2 vials per treatment session.  Although 3 vials can be administered in one session, whether or not this is appropriate for you cannot be answered without a physical examination.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon