Can Vitamins Help in the Healing Process of a Tummy Tuck?

I want to see a nutritionist befor my surgery. I think that I am vitamine deficient. Would this help in the healing process of the tummy tuck?

Vitamins, Nutrition and Tummy Tuck healing

+1

Most Americans are NOT deficient in Vitamins that can impact wound healing (such as Vitamin c). Taking moderate amounts of vitamins would not hurt you but unless your are seriously vitamin deprived, cannot help you either. It is extremely important that you have a normal protein status. Often people who diet starve themselves and the body is forced to break down muscle to get its protein. The best advice about good healing is to increase the amount of lean protein you are taking to make sure the healing process proceeds nicely.

Wound healing problems is related to obesity

+1

Most people do not have a profound deficiency in any vitamin, perhaps with the exception of some bariatric surgery patients, who have real malabsorption issues. Your time and money might be better spent insuring that your body weight relative to your height (body mass index or BMI) is as close to your ideal BMI as possible. There is good evidence that people with BMI's in the 'obese' range (> 30) have increased wound healing problems with breast and body surgical procedures. Check in with your plastic surgeon for recommendations about weight loss in preparation for tummy tuck surgery/

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Vitamins from a healthy diet are all that is needed for good healing after surgery

+1

People attribute magical qualities to vitamins, but they each serve a specific purpose. Vitamin C for example prevents scurvy, Vitamin B12 prevents pernicious anemia, and so forth. Very few people in this country are actually vitamin deficient exept perhaps for D, which we need more of than has traditionally been advised. I do recommend that you get your vitamin D level checked, but your nutritionist should otherwise steer you to dietary measures rather than supplements for optimal healing.

Richard Baxter, MD