Vitamin E Vs. Mederma For Breast Reduction Scars? (photo)

I have been told by others via internet that i should use mederma for my breast reduction scars, (had it done on the 31st of May w/ lipo on my sides) but my doc says Vitamin E twice a day. Yesterday i read an article that Vitamin E can make it worse and that its just not as good as other scar healing products. can you please advise me on this matter? what would you recommend? Thank you for your time :)

Getting the Best Possible Scar After Breast Reduction

+2

The obvious answer to this question is you entrusted your body to your plastic surgeon and he or she did an obviously great job (as demonstrated by your above picture).  Every plastic surgeon has an opinion on wound healing and how to get the best possible scar.  Having said that, I will be happy to throw my opinion into the mix.  I think Mederma is a waste of money and time, and there is no proof that it actually has any lasting effect on the quality of the resultant scar.  I am very opposed to Vitamin E because, chemically, Vitamin E breaks the SH bonds.  These are the bonds which hold collagen fibers together, therefore, if you put enough Vitamin E on a well done surgical scar, it will break the bonds and make the scar wider.  Vitamin E is good for thick, heaped up scars because it will flatten them, but unfortunately, for flat, excellent surgical scars, it will spread them. 

I believe in tape.  Tape causes pressure.  Pressure tells the new collagen fibers how to come in smoothly and not in whirls and swirls, therefore the scar won't be heaped up.  This helps the scar mature faster, and mature scars lose their redness and look better.  My favorite tape for tummy tucks and breast reductions is Proxy strips.  The tape normally stays on for two weeks at a time, and to get the best conceivable result, may take several months of taping.  The mastic keeps the scar from spreading and the pressure keeps the collagen flat, and the combination of these two lead to a quicker maturation of the scar.  In short, they work. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Incision care

+2

First, Vitamin E does not improve scar quality. Any moisturizer once things have healed are good. Mederma has not been shown to help scars significantly. The best thing if a scar is problematic is using a silicone sheet.

Vitamine E Vs Mederma for post op scars

+2

This is a very common question and usually it is your surgeon who will recommend the best scar treatment for you. I recommend scarguard for my patients. It has Vit E, steroid an silicone. It is applied once daily. good luck

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Mederma vs. vit E for scars

+1

Unfortunately, we cannot perform surgery without creating scars, and patients always want to know how to minimize their scars as much as possible.  There are many products available -- many of them very expensive.  I usually recommend that my patients massage their scars using any moisturizer or cream of their choice (Vit E, aloe, etc). To my understanding, the literature hasn't really said whether one cream is better than the other, but rather the actual act of massaging is important.  If the scars are hypertrophic then steroid injections or silicone sheets may also be of benefit.  I would definitely discuss this issue with your surgeon because he or she may have his/her own preferences.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Postop scar treatment

+1
Who should you trust more, your plastic surgeon (who, hopefully, is board certified and completed a 7 year residency followed by 2 very difficult, comprehensive examinations) or an article you read somewhere? You should follow your surgeon's recommendations. I think it is fundamentally important that, having selected a physician to perform your procedure, you comply with his followup regimen. I, too, recommend Scarguard but believe that the recommendations should come from the individual most knowledgeable about your care. You should not self-treat based on what you read on-line or elsewhere.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Best Treatment for Breast Reduction Scars?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you run this question by your plastic surgeon who is ultimately responsible for your care. He/she will be a better resource than the online research that you are doing.  Ask him/her if he/she recommends the use of silicone-based products.

Scars

+1

There is many products that can help you with your scars, you can use over the counter or Physician grade. Mederma is a well known products a lot of patients use it, i would do research on either product so your able to make a informed decision.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS