Does Vitamin E Tablets Help with Knot in Tummy Tuck Incision?

I am 7 weeks po from abdominoplasty and breast aug. Along my suture line I developed internal knots, probably sutures that haven't dissolved yet. Was wondering if taking vitamin E pills will help the lumps disappear?

Vitamin E does not help "knots"

+1
Vitamin E taken by mouth has not been show to help with knots not dissolving nor with better scar formation. 
The knots if dissolvable will take care of themselves over time. 

Hard knots after tummy tuck

+1

Don't be alarmed. This is not an uncommon occurrence and usually represents scar tissue or your body's response to dissolving absorbable sutures.

Usually scar massage with moisturizing lotion and time (6-12 months) aleviates this problem.

If you feel you are developing abnormal scarring, see your surgeon for advice.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Vitamin E will not resolve "knots" in scar

+1

Hi there-

Vitamin E will not help.

Resolution will take time (be patient), but this can be accelerated by frequent, deep massage (you can do this yourself).

If it doesn't resolve after 6 months, I would show it to your surgeon again.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Lumps inder incision

+1

No.  Time will help.  Also massaging the area can help.  It may be a small area of fat necrosis in which case it will be permanent.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Time vs. Vitamin E

+1

This is a normal occurence for this timeframe.  I ask my patients to wait until the three week timeframe and start scar massage with topical agents and silicone strips.  Vitamin E  may be in some of those topical products, but taking in a pill form  will not be effective---in fact, I would be concerned that taking it that early after surgery may increase the risk of late bleeding, as it has an aspirin like effect.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin E and dissolvable sutures

+1

I dont think vitamin E would make much difference in terms of the "knots" you are feeling from the dissolvable sutures.  Massage and time are likely to be the only two factors that really matter.  You can certainly use the vitamin E during your massage.  Pin point the location of these sutures and massage firmly.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Knots under incision Tummy tuck

+1

Hello, These knots cam be suture disappearing, calcified fat, or old small blood accumulations, but guess what!, they disappear. Massage helps greatly. Find a massage therapist trained in POSTOP massage techniques and they should smooth out, or you can wait! Dr jeneby

Thomas T. Jeneby, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Vitamine E and Knots In Suture Line?

+1

Congratulations.  you have likely passed through the most difficult weeks of recovery after your extensive surgery. I am not aware of any reliable literature that demonstrates the vitamin E will expedite “lumps disappearing” along the suture line. Sometimes, there is no other remedy than “tincture of time”.

You will find that the suture line will soften up and gradually improve over the course of many months to one year postoperatively.