Vitamin C Supplements Safe Before Tummy Tuck?

I drink a vitamin c supplement (Emergen-c) daily and was wondering if it is ok to continue this leading up to my surgery.

Vitamin C tummy tuck

+2

It's great to take Vitamin C as a cardioprotective antioxidant but there may be an interaction with some drugs including anticoagulants (it lessens their efficacy).  Be sure your board cerified plastic surgeon knows this if he is planning on giving you any form of preventative blood thinner after your surgery.  You didn't mention comorbidities but some people take Vit C to battle the effects of smoking after recently having quit for example.  It's a topic to clarify with your board certified PS.

For healthy men and women, the Linus Pauling Institute recommends a vitamin C intake of at least 400 mg daily.  Your emergen-C covers you for 1000 and the toxic dose is over 2000mg daily.  It's a great vitamin to take.

Good luck on your tummy tuck!

Multivitamin prior to surgery

+2

Emergen C does not only have vitamin C, but is truly a multivitamin supplement. A multivitamin is usually good prior to a cosmetic procedure. Nevertheless, you should check with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to surgery. Some vitamins and supplements can actually be harmful prior to surgery, increasing the risk of bleeding or affecting wound healing. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Taking Vitamin C before Surgery

+1

Taking extra doses of vitamin C has not been shown to enhance healing after surgery, unless you have scurvy (vitamin C deficiency).  There is no harm in taking in 500mg-1000mg of vitamin C a day (this includes both natural and synthetic forms combined).  However, be aware mega doses of vitamin C may precipitate in the kidney and lead to kidney stones.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Vit C pre tummy

+1

I think a multivitamin pre op is fine.I ask all my patients to stop all herbal supplements two weeks prior to surgery to limit any interaction with the drugs they will receive during their procedure.I want things simple and um complicated.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and vitamin C supplements

+1

I encourage patients to take extra vitamin C prior to any procedures, but especially with major procedures like abdominoplasty.  Just make sure that you inform your surgeon of all medications, including herbal supplements, at least two weeks prior to the surgery.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Vitamin C prior to surgery.

+1

As with any medication, make sure that you clear this with your surgeon prior to surgery. In my practice, I have no problem with patients taking additional Vitamin C prior to surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Supplements

+1

Supplementation in the perioperative time frame may be beneficial. Each surgeon has their own preference and we always ask our patients what prescription and nonprescription medications they are taking. I have a personal preference for my patients and I am sure your surgeon has the same. Communicate with their office.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins before surgery.

+1

You should check with your surgeon's office just to make sure.  Each surgeon has his/her own preferences on medications to avoid before surgery. 

Supplements Safe Before Surgery?

+1

I believe it is OK to take multivitamins (i.e. Centrum one a day etc) before your surgery.  But I generally advise against extra doses.  Although Emergen-C will likely be just fine, I do not recommend other extra high doses such as Vit E.  Hope this helps. Best of luck

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Vit C before surgery: Is it a good thing?

+1

You need to contact your plastic surgeon to obtain his/her recommendations since he/she will be operating on you. For my patients I do recommend taking substantial amounts of Vit C starting well before surgery and continuing afterwards as it should significantly aid in the healing process.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD