Does Vitamin K Cream Help Shrink Broken Capillaries on the Face?

Does the use of over the counter vitamin K cream really help get rid of bruises and/or tiny broken capillaries on the face? What about “blood-blisters”?

Probably of Value in bruising

+2

There are two studies I am aware of showing that Vitamin K cream may help with post-traumatic bruising. In both studies a cream containing Vitamin K  was used after pulsed dye laser treatment. As anybody who has underwent treatment with this particular laser, say to rid themselves of unsightly facial blood vessels, knows purpura ( bruising) can be an unwanted side effect. In these studies one by Cohen et al and published in the November 2009  issue of Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, and the other by Lou et al in the December 1999 issue of Dermatologic Surgery, Vitamin K containing creams hastened the resolution of this laser-induced bruising. There are some problems in both studies in that there were other ingredients in the formulations which might have spurred on the body's response ( such as Vitamin C and E) in the former study and Retinol in the latter.  Further, the number  patients in the studies were small and the latter study was funded by the company manufacturing the Vitamin K cream. Nonetheless, most likely, Vitamin K cream does seem to be a worthwhile product for trauma induced bruising.

However, I could not find scientific evidence that Vitamin K cream helps with telangiectasias ( the tiny broken capillaries you mention). Sure, this is mentioned in so-called homeopathic articles, and companies hawking Vitamin K products,  but I was not able to find scientific evidence of such.  Perhaps it exists, but I could not find this. Claims that Vitamin C would help in this regard would hold much more water in my estimation since Vitamin C helps produce collagen and collagen can help hold the small vessels in place. 

For these vessels which seem to concern you,  certainly the pulsed dye laser mentioned above, the KTP laser, electrodessication and IPL would all work much better and quicker than applying a cream. 

I can see no value of applying a Vitamin K cream for "blood blisters". Try moleskin to prevent them next time.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Vein Treatment

+1

No, I really doubt there is much you can put on the skin to help in any measurable way. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin K for capillaries probably not effective

+1

Greetings~

We have had good experience with Vitamin K cream, Arnica and Traumeel cream for bruising  but have not seen any good results for helping or eradicating capillaries on the face or blood blisters.  Laser treatment or IPL is most likely your best bet for treating capillaries on the face.  (generally speaking, having not seen you.)

Take care~

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD