Can I Take Vitamin A Before Mommy Makeover in 6 Days? (photo)

If so how many IU? I understand that it promotes healing, also, was told to take a multivitamin twice a day, but it has 22.5 IU of vitamin E in it, which I was told to stay away from. Actually I was told not to have more than 400mg a day of it. Can I still take the multivitamin? I'm also taking 1000mg of C twice a day.

Taking Vitamins before Mommy Makeover

+1

You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.  It is important that you follow your plastic surgeons advice regarding what to take and what not to take before and after surgery.

There is no specific “recommended diet” for the pre and/or post-tummy tuck patient. A well-balanced diet with high fiber and a good protein source would obviously be helpful. Adding a protein shake ( to each meal) if necessary may also be helpful especially if your appetite is curtailed ( which often happens after). Frequent hydration is also important.

Multivitamins and surgery

+1

Standard over the counter multi-vitamins should be fine before your surgery.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

OK to continue your multivitamin

+1

Extra Vitamin A may be beneficial for healing and you can take up to 10,000 IUs daily.

Vitamin E in large doses can interfere with blood clotting leading to bleeding at surgery and therefore is usually discontinued preop.  The typical multivitamin has a relatively small amount of vit E (20-25 IU) and even taking two a day would be alright.  Even 400mg (600IU) would probably be alright but it would be better just to stop any extra vit E beyond what is in your multivitamin.

Vitamin C is great and needn't be discontinued.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Hold off on Vitamin A and E before surgery

+1

Vitamin A and E are thought to increase bleeding, (much like aspirin or ibuprofen).  Other herbal supplements can do the same, (i.e.; Ginko, St. John's Wart, Garlic, Fish Oil, etc;).  We have our patients try to stop these products 2 weeks before surgery, and hold off until 2 weeks after surgery.

Jeffrey Roth, MD