Can I Take Vitamin C and Other Supplement Before and After Surgery?

what supliment should i take? more 1 week i have tummy tuck, i always take vitamin,c,e,collagen supliment and multi vitamin, can i take or must avoid first? tq..

Take supplements with caution

+2

I always instruct my patients to discontinue all multi-vitamins, aspirin, ibuprofen, and herbal supplements at least 3 weeks before surgery.  Vitamin C is ok to take but not necessary.  Some vitamins, especially vitamin E, are blood thinners and definitely should not be taken before and right after surgery.  You will increase your chances of excessive bleeding, problems with clotting, and this could lead to a hematoma.  I am a big believer in arnica montana to reduce bruising and swelling after surgery.  This is the only herbal supplement you should take before and after surgery.  Some offices carry a medical grade version of arnica montana called SinEcch which works very well.  Your surgeon should provide you with a complete list of medications to avoid as well as discuss what medications you are currently taking to be sure none need to be stopped.  If he/she doesn't provide you with a list, ask for one. 

+1

Each surgeon may have preferences, and will likely present you with a list of medications to avoid. Many of those on the list will contain aspirin, ibuprofen, or other meds that may interfere with blood clotting. Vitamin C is usually not on such a list.

You will be safest to ask your own surgeon whose preferences may not match those of the surgeons who may be answering your query. 

Thanks, and best wishes.