Blurry Vision After Blepharoplasty. Are There Any Options To Speed Up Healing? (photo)

Six weeks after blepharoplasty I am still using Gen Teal 10-20 times per day and having impaired vision unless I press on arrea around eye. I asked doctor to help with swelling but he only offered idea of taping under eye and taping eye shut. Are there other suggestions so I can enjoy reading the newpaper again? The surgical incisions look ok and the heling has proceeded well in other areas.

Blurry vision following bleph

+1

looks like you have some subacute (pushing chronic) chemosis.  additionally, it looks like the lower lid has some mild malposition with subtle scleral show.  follow the link i have provided to an article i published on chemosis managment.  do not go it alone.  take the article to your surgeon or another surgeon and allow him to guide you through the managment steps.

Your surgeon should recommend and Opthamologist

+1
Your eye is very swollen and you have swelling or chemosis of the conjunctiva. I would suggest seeing an opthamologist as soon as possible. This is not a typical result or typical post operative swelling. Using drops to the excess you are having to use is not normally prescribed. You need an evaluation possible plugs, other drops or ointment, difficult to say however the sooner the better for a second opinion and opthamologist appointment.

Michael Elam, MD

Please consult an Ophthalmologist

+1

6 weeks after surgery, I would not expect severe on going dry eyes. Conservative measures are always recommended in the begining; however, given the frequency with which you are using eye drops, I would strongly recommend consulting with an ophthalmologist to help manage your recovery and minimize risks of long term problem.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cornea specialist

+1

If you are using eye drops that frequently, it may be time to see a cornea specialisty. That is an ophthalmologist that specializes in treating patients with dry eye problems. He/she can evaluate the cornea and possibly prescribe different eye drops that may accelerate the healing process.

Also the eyelid closure needs to be evaluated. Was you surgeon an Oculoplastics surgeon? If not, it might be a good idea to seek a second opinion from an Oculoplastics specialist. You  can find one on ASOPRS dot org.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have a very unhappy eye for 6 weeks out from surgery.

+1

Your surgery was very aggressive.  One can still see chemosis of the conjunctiva which is a fancy medical term for swelling of the whites of the eyes.  What can't be determined is to what degree did eyelid surgery compromise the motor function of the orbicularis oculi, the muscle that closes and blinks the eyes.  You vision is impaired because these eyelids are still so swollen that they can't effectively move the tears over the corneal surface.  I recommend that you ask your plastic surgeon for a referral to an oculoplastic surgeon for assessment.  A general ophthalmologist is not sufficient because they to not handle enough post eyelid surgery eyes to have a great handle on the optimum management needed to increase your ocular comfort.  If your plastic surgeon draws a blank on this, the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website that will help you find a well qualified consultant in your area.