Is It Ok to Use Visine Before a Rhinoplasty Surgery?

is it ok to use visine before surgery? thank you.

Visine before rhinoplasty? Why Visine?

+1

Hi babygirl303;

If I were your surgeon, I would want to know why you are taking Visine.  Or, are you taking it because you have had a recent eye infection?  If so, that certainly needs to be attended to before having elective rhinoplasty.  Or, has someone said to you that you might have less swelling and bruising around the eyes if you use Visine?  If so, I can tell you that will have no effect. 

It is not likely that an over-the-counter eye drop can have any negative effect on your rhinoplasty, but I think your question begs more questions and answers, so that you have complete peace of mind before your elective nasal surgery.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Rhinoplasty and visine

+1

Why would you need to use visine before surgery?  While I doubt it would have any effect on anesthesia or your surgical outcome, it is something that can be put on hold until after your surgery.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplsty for well over 20 years and I would not have a problem with a Rhinoplasty patient using a few drops of visine beore their Rhinoplasty.  That being said, why would you.  You're going to sleep with a general anesthetic and will most likely have lube added to your eyes anyway.  Visine would not be useful IMHO.

Visine is OK before rhinoplasty.

+1

Visine is a non-prescription eyedrop containing potassium chloride and tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride, the latter a vasoconstrictor that causes the eye's superficial blood vessels to constrict and "get the red out." There are other Visine formulations that contain antihistamines, hydrogel lubricants, and ingredients designed to be used with contact lenses or for patients with allergies.

WOW! All those medications and other chemicals--do you think any might interact with anesthetic drugs, intravenous medicines, or powerful injections used during surgery? Good question, and thank you for understanding the reasons we ask our patients to check with their surgeon before using anything right before surgery. WE certainly don't want any surprise drug reactions or unanticipated physiologic responses when we're busy trying to perform an elective plastic surgery operation on a perfectly healthy patient--we really do NOT want to end up with a possibly-dangerous "OOPS."

So this is not a frivolous question, and yet the answer is that this particular eyedrop is not a problem if used as recommended. That being said, I'd still let your surgeon and/or anesthesia provider know before surgery. They will have the same response as my colleagues have indicated, but thank you for being proactive with your own safety! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Visine before Rhinoplasty

+1

The should be no problem using Visine before your rhinoplasty surgery, but consult with your surgeon.

Visine before rhinoplasty

+1

There is not a problem that I would have with a patient using visine before a rhinoplasty.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Visine and Nose Surgery

+1

There is no reason why you could not use Visine before or after your nose surgery. However, you may want to be checked for allergies before having nose surgery. 

Visine and nasal surgery

+1

There is no contraindication or reason you cannot use eye drops prior to a rhinoplasty or other type of nasal surgery. 

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon