More Visible or Upturned Nose

Does removing the hump itself cause the nostrils to upturn and make the nose itself higher on the head?? I had a large hump and I'm several months post op from a closed rhino and my nostrils look way more visible and higher up on my head. My surgeon also deprojected the tip and shaved the columela... which of these changes could have caused the nostrils to look "pulled up".

Upturned Nose?

+2

Question: More Visible or Upturned Nose?

Answer: Removing the hump itself will not affect the nostrils or turn up the tip of the nose.
The position of the tip of the nose and nostrils are related to work on the tip
cartilages and the end of the septum. You should discuss your concerns with
your surgeon.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned tip and nostrils following nose job

+2

This is a common comment following rhinoplasty and is often the result of short term scarring and retraction. While the reduction of the hump can produce the impression of an upturned nose, it tends to be an optical illusion. Shaving the columella should not achieve this outcome either. Depending on the technique for deprojecting the nose it could produce some "upturning" or rotation of the tip. I would wait at least 6 months before assessing the long term results.

Upturned Nose

+1

Change in tip rotation are not due to hump removal but the work done on the septum and tip. Post-op swelling also influences your present tip positiion. This may change and should be evaluated at one year after surgery. 

Rhinoplasty Surgery may result in rotation of the tip of your nose.

+1

The rotation of your nasal tip, and increased nostril show is likely related to the tip work that was performed during your Rhinoplasty Surgery. It is difficult to achieve de-rotation of your tip, but lowering your nostril margins may be achieved by a well-performed Injectable Filler treatment. Feel free to email your photos along with a description, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

Normal healing after rhinoplasty takes many months and a number of changes occur during that time. The tip is usually where most of the swelling occurs, and takes the longest to achieve its final result. The upturned nostril look is not uncommon after rhinoplasty, and usually diminishes with time as the scar matures and swelling resolves.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Upward Nasal Tip Rotatiion after Nose Surgery

+1
Most Rhinoplasty operations invoke refinement of the nasal tip. In doing so, the lower lateral cartilages which make up the tip are narrowed and sutured closer together. The removal of a strip of cartilage along the upper margin of the lower lateral cartilages leaves a narrow area where scar tissue can form and upon retraction pull up and rotate the nasal tip upward. The degree to which this happens is variable. Dr. Peter A Aldea