Visible Dissolvable Suture Lines at 6 Months Post Breast Augmentation? (photo)

It's been just over 6 months post my breast augmentation. I had 375cc silicon HP smooth implants placed through breast fold. I started noticing the vertical red lines on one side around 4 months and it seems they are becoming worse. The actual incision lines are fading but I am getting worried there is a reaction with the internal sutures and that they will become be permanent scars. What causes this & can anything that can be done? My Dr. thinks they will fade. Can it cause a problem to wait?

Red Incision at 6 Months after Breast Augmentation

+1

Redness in this pattern around the incision should get better over the course of one year.  This is something of a curious pattern at this point, as absorbable sutures should have dissolved weeks prior.  It could not hurt to know the type of suture for future reference.  PDS sometimes stays much longer in some patients.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Visible incision after breast augmentation

+1

You may get improvement with massage or scar guard or taping.  Thes incisions will continue to improve over time.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plasti c Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Scars after breast augmentation

+1

The scar itself can take up to a year or more to settle down.  The redness usually fades with time. I would wait to do any revision in the future.

Visible Scars After Breat Augmentation

+1

It looks like you have mild hypertrophic scaring from your photos. Scars can take up to one year to fully mature, soften and fade. I would not suggest any surgical intervention until you have waited at least one year. You could also try other topical scar remedies that are availble including silicone gel sheets, Mederma and ScarGuard to name a few. Steroid injections are sometimes used in more severe cases. Ask you surgeon for their preferences as one usually doesn't work any better than the other. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Scarring

+1

You have slight hypertrophy of the scar. This can happen and usually take 6-12 months to fade and soften.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Scars

+1

Waiting will not hurt, and will most likely resolve the problem. It usually takes 12 months or more for the scars to turn white.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Dissolvable Sutures At 6 Month Post-op

+1

Hello.

Thank you for sharing your photos.

By the 6th month post-op, the dissolvable sutures do disappear noramlly. However, different patients could react differently and dissolvable sutures may require a little more time to dissipate totally than usual.

Also, it is possible that some patients develop a mild allergic reaction against sutures (rare but possible).

At this point, the best thing to do is to consult with your surgeon who could prescribe you a topical treatment and/or be a little more patient while monitoring the progress of the sutures closely letting nature take its course.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Visible Dissolvable Suture Lines at 6 Months

+1

Most absorbable sutures have dissolved by 6 months, but we are all different.

I would hesitate to try to remove these which would require new incisions.Allowing these to dissolve and fade does sound like the best approach. You might want to consider one of the various scar remedies available--your surgeon can suggest a favorite.

Concerns about Dissolvable Sutures 6 Months after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although your concerns are understandable, I think you will  find that the appearance of the scars will continue to improve over the course of the next year. It very well may be that you are seeing or feeling long-term absorbable sutures  and the inflammatory reaction around them;  hopefully, as these sutures completely dissolve the skin reaction you are seeing will dissipate.

At this point, I do not believe there is any intervention that will be helpful;  your best bet is ongoing patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation scars

+1

Try using some form of topical silicone scar fading product.  Scar fade is an ointment, Scar gaurd is a liquid and it also has steroids that may help the color fade or new gel sheets which is a flexible sheet that adheres to the skin.                                                                               _

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon