Too Much Visceral Fat for Any Help? Thank You for This Site! (photo)

I am 39 (168cm/77kg) and today I consulted a surgeon about a tummy tuck or similar to help me with my protruding belly. He told me that he could not feel that my muscle had parted, and that my tummy was not loose enough to have any good effect of stitching my muscles closer together. In his opinion, I had too much visceral fat to get any good result from a tummy tuck or liposuction. I know I need to loose some weight to get rid of the visceral, but do you agree with him from what you can see?

Too Much Visceral Fat for Any Help? Thank You for This Site!

+1

Before you consider having a “tummy tuck” or any cosmetic procedure it is important that you seek multiple consultations. Make sure that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that answers all of your questions and concerns.

Conroe Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck Would Be Beneficial

+1

The muscle issue aside, you have a lot of room for improvement by either liposuction or a tummy tuck. You should seek out other opinions, as you undoubtably have visceral fat, but there is a lot of subcutaneous fat that can be effectively treated.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

You definitely have a lot of subcutaneous fat amenable to liposuction.  The amount of abdominal wall laxity or visceral fat is difficult to evaluate without an exam.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Too Much Visceral Fat for Any Help?

+1

It is hard to tell from photos alone, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility of useful improvement with a TT and /or liposuction. Your BMI is under 30, which some use as a threshold for surgery (greater is higher risk). 

I would urge you to seek a second opinion. It is possible that you will get a similar recommendation, but I think it is likely that you will get a more favorable opinion.

All the best. 

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Hello Aida,

Thank you for the question and the great photos.  I think liposuction and a tummy tuck could provide a very nice result.  If you have had children or lost weight there is a good chance that your abdominal wall is loose and could benefit from tightening.  The link below is from one of my patients before and after photos that I think has similar characteristics as you do.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD