Is It Normal for Breast to Be a Little Hard Near the Side of the Incision Site?

I had a breast reduction 2 weeks ago and I have what seems to be a very hard spot right above my incisions on both sides of the breast. They aren't any funny color or bruised and they don't hurt but when I put my arms down I am aware of it. Is this normal. My Surgeons nurse said that this is normal cause I had liposuction as well. I am just not understanding why this is coming up 2 weeks later. Help please??

Firmness in scars 2 weeks post-op reduction mammaplasty

is a very common finding.  If you were my patient, I would have you sit tight and let your body heal.  If you have changes in volume or inflammation, then I would rethink observation.  As for speculation as to what could be causing this, it could be reaction to sutures or fat necrosis (which is a benign process that will slowly resolve on its own).  Be patient and keep your surgeon informed should any changes occur.

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Need to make sure you don't have seroma after breast reduction.

What you are describing is probably just normal transient internal scar tissue.  But I would suggest a sonogram to make sure you do not have fluid collections..

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Hardness Around Incisions after Breast Reduction

Hardness around incision sites may be normal and may be developing scar tissue, which will soften over time.  A physical exam can usually rule out significant fluid collection or fat necrosis.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Concerns after Breast Reduction?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. What you are describing does not seem too concerning;  it is likely that the firmness you are feeling is related to scar tissue and/or swelling/inflammation around the surgical site or lipo him suctioned areas.

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. More than likely, you'll be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Best wishes

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Firm Areas Developing After Breast Reduction

Scar formation starts to set in weeks after the procedure not before. This is a normal part of the healing process. These areas may stay hard for months before they begin to soften. Recovery from your breast reduction is a process and issues that you have asked about will take up to 6 months after surgery to resolve.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Breast surgery and firmness at scars

Without an exam, iti s difficult for me to comment on the lumps that you are feeling. You did the right thing by showing it to the doctor's staff.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Post op scar firmness

What you describe sounds like normal post operative tissue edema and firmness around your incision sites. This would be a normal occurrence and will usually resolve over the next few months.

Of course without examining you it is not possible to determine with certainty that this is what is going on. I suggest that you follow up with your surgeon who can confirm this.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

688 White Plains Rd
Scarsdale, NY 10583