Can my Tuberous Breast Be Fixed to Look Normal? (photo)

I am 23. I have a petite built. I am 5'2 and my breast size is a 34b. I have a case of tuberous breast. Whats weird about them is that when my nipples get hard they look like normal breast. I will post a picture to show how different they change. My boobs are small and I would like to achieve a more fuller look with silicone gel implants. My nipple area is puffy when my nipples are hard. I want to get rid of that. The shape of my breasts arent that bad though. Can someone please help me.

Your breasts are normal.

+2

You need to see more breasts - yours are normal and need no surgery. If you want bigger that can be done, but other than that, you need nothing.

Breast Augmentation with Silicone implants

+2

First of all you don't have tuberous breasts. A simple google search of tuberous breasts should reveal some photos of real tuberous breasts. Slightly puffy areolas are normal in some patients. Since your case is very minor I would just leave the areola alone and just do the breast augmentation.

David E. Kim, MD

Can my Tuberous Breast Be Fixed to Look Normal

+2

There are a number of features that define a tuberous breast:

•Wide and puffy areolas

•widely spaced breasts

•high breast fold

•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast

•minimal breast tissue

•narrow base of the breast

The only finding I can identify on your photos is some degree of puffy areola, but not all the time. I would not call these tuberous breasts. 

If you wish to be larger, I would recommend breast implants and no other intervention. Altering erectile tissue in the breast is an unpredictable undertaking, and not warranted in my opinion. 

All the best. 

Not Tuberous

+1
Judging from your photos alone, I do not think that you have tuberous breasts. Some patients with minor tuberous breast deformity will only have breasts that have a high fold, tight base or a constricted appearance while others may suffer from a more severe problem where the breasts resemble tubes. You do not appear to have either.

If you'd like to have fuller breasts, breast augmentation alone would achieve this for you. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Can my Tuberous Breast Be Fixed to Look Normal?

+1

Although you have no other features of tuberous breasts, you do have "poochy" areolas or "pseudoherniation" of the areola, which is one feature of some tuberous breasts. If you desire larger, fuller breasts, then breast augmentation is the right operation for you. This will not correct the "poochy" areolas, though. When your areolas contract, the "poochiness" goes away. One way of correcting this pseudoherniation is to make an incision around the areola, remove a rim of skin, and "telescope" the areola inward, tightening the areolar skin. This, however, will create a scar around the areola that will be visible, of course, and you have to decide if this is worth it to you.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Can my tuberous breasts be fixed?

+1

Thank you for your question and for providing the photos. Based on the photos, you do not have tuberous breasts. That occurs when there is a constricting ring of tissue which prevents expansion of the base of the breast. Your overall breast shape is not indicative of a tuberous breast.

You do have some herniation of your nipple-areolar complex. At rest, this allows the areola to protrude from the breast. When your nipples are hard, the contraction of the associated muscle prevents this herniation and flattens the areola.

I think that you would be well treated with a breast augmentation. If the puffiness of your nipples bothers you, this could be improved with a periareolar tightening. The only trade off is that there would then be a scar that extends around the entire areola. However, this lies in the junction of darker and lighter skin and is usually well concealed. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to help you with this.

Best of luck with your breasts.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Correcting tuberous breasts with implants

+1

Thank you for your question.  Tuberous breasts can be fixed with breast implants.  This can be done with silicone or saline implants, depending upon your personal preference.  You've indicated silicone implants and these can be placed through a small incision underneath your breasts.  In order to fix the tuberous portion of your breasts might also require an incision partly around the areola in order to release the tissue that's holding back the normal breast tissue from filling them in.  The entire procedure is usually done as an outpatient with a minimal recovery and minimal pain.  Also, the look that you like in the last photo can be obtained with breast implants.  I would have you come in with the bra that you want to fill out and have you place sample of the implants into the bra in order to see what size you like.  Having done many breast augmentation procedures, it appears as though you'll need around 250-300cc breast implants and I believe you can get a great result after a breast augmentation procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Puffy Areolae Not Tuberous

+1

Your photos show normal breasts with mildly puffy areolae.  That is commonly seen in women who have not yet had children.  Breast augmentation will increase that puffiness for a little while after surgery.  But then it will resolve.  Aesthetically, I don't recommend treating the puffiness.  Good luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Not Tuberous

+1

Thanks for your questions and the photos. While you have a mild constriction of the breasts you do not appear to have a tuberous breast. A constricted breast has a short nipple to fold distance, so the fold must be considered when performing augmentation so that the implant and the breast balance well. A tuberous breast looks like snoopy's nose.  A constricted breast can sometimes lead to double bubble or a breast on top of an implant if the breast tissue does not take on the shape of the implant. A puffy areola can be flattened by removing tissue from under the areola but this can affect nipple sensation and breast feeding. I would recommend consultation will a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about these options.   Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and tuberous breasts

+1

You have a very slight tuberous breast limited to the areolar area. In my opinion, you would obtain a very nice result from silicone breast augmentation that could be combined with a periareolar suture to tighten and flatten the areola. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Janet Woodyard, MD