One month ago I had Facelift with Fat Transfer. Will this banding eventually go away or will I need a revision?

My PS says the ropey band and the hard and lumpy area under my chin will all resolve and be patient. During my 30 day checkup I reported that my lower cheeks and under my chin are puffy, warm and red. My PS put me on a course of antibiotics (Keflex). Within 24 hours on the Keflex, the warmth and redness left but I am still puffy. The photos were the day before my checkup. Overall I am pleased with the results of the facelift but trying hard not to worry about the neck and chin issues.

Your Concerns Are Normal

+2
Thanks for your question. It is common for there to be firmness, bands, and lumpiness underneath the chin at 1 month, and those issues will get much better if not completely resolve over the next few months. I would give this time. Swelling of the face is also normal. An infection 1 month after facelift is most unusual, and I suspect your surgeon was erring on the side of caution. I would give it all time. Good luck.

I had a facelift one month ago will this banding go away?

+2
  • Based on your photographs I believe this banding may be due to a drain that was left at the end of surgery. It is not uncommon to see a thickened area in the neck where some blood has accumulated. This should go away completely with time. If you're out in the sun make sure you use of very good sunscreen. Check with your plastic surgeon regarding his recommendations on moisturizers and massage. It appears she will have a very good result. Best wishes!

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and banding after a facelift

+2
It is not uncommon to have a ropy feeling or banding after a facelift. This sensation and banding typically resolves over time. Sometime lymphatic massage can help hasten its resolution. As far as redness and warmth, that could be a sign of infection but it sounds as if you are improving from that standpoint. I would discuss any additional concerns you have with your surgeon.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

30 days is too early to make a final judgment about a facelift

+2
.The photograph demonstrates active inflammation and possibly even and infection. This only resolve completely as convalescence proceeds.

Banding At 30 Days After Facelift

+2
A cellulitis 30 days postop, and a cellulitis that actually responds to keflex are both pretty rare.  The vast majority of wound infections occur 7 days postoperatively.  I think that the photos show areas of swelling and lymphatic outflow obstruction that aren't uncommon after a Facelift.  I expect that this will resolve over the next 1-2 months.  Keep in contact with your operative Surgeon for guidance and reassurance.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Banding after a facelift

+2
It seems that you had a mild cellulitis that responded well to the treatment. 

Some swelling is to be expected under the jaw after a facelift/neck lift. Especially if you had a "heavy neck" and did submental liposuction. Fat injections are also associated with increased swelling over the injected areas.
Because the tightness over the upper portion of your neck from the lift, the area functions like a catch basin for all the swelling draining from your face. If you develop an inflammatory process such as cellulitis, the swelling may be more pronounced and stick around for longer.
The band on your neck is most likely related to fluid retention too. 

I imagine the swelling under your chin and jaw to subside significantly with time, and sometimes you may benefit from local steroid injections to help out with the process. I also expect the "band" in your neck to resolve.
I would recommend you discuss all your concerns with your surgeon, but I am optimist that this will all improve and you will be pleased with the results

Marcelo Antunes, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative Face Lift

+2
I'm glad that you had the opportunity to get on antibiotics in order to clear up your infection.  As far as the banding in the neck is concerned, I agree that time will help resolve this- it is likely from residual inflammation that was worsened by the infection, and so it may take a bit more time than usual but all should resolve over the next 2 months or so.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Facelift 30 days out

+2
thanks for your question and the photos.
As far as I can see, there are several issues here.

1. Cellulitis. The antibiotics you were prescribed have thankfully cleared this as it is obvious from your history and these photos that you were developing an infection.
2. Whilst a platysmaplasty (midline neck lift) was performed (I am guessing from your incision), it looks like the lateral platysmaplasty from the facelift incision was inadequate. I would be disappointed with this degree of relaxation of the neck at 30 days.
3. Your under chin (submental) incision is long and inverted - this should soften and contract as time progresses and will look like a small crease. At this stage however I would expect it to be more everted so that it contracts to leave a seamless result. It may be that this is due to the surrounding cellulitic swelling though. A photo without the infection would help.

Your PS is right, all of these should resolve nicely given a little more time.

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck puffy and ropey after face lift

+1
From your description, you had a cellulitis (skin infection) that affected your result, a month after the face lift.
Assuming the infection (heat, warmth, redness) is completely gone, there is still swelling from the infection.
It will take time to subside - longer than usual - but it will subside. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD