Feasible? Age 29 Mom, Will Recovery Be an Issue With an Infant?

I am a 29 yr old mom to two children (youngest is 8 months/23 lbs.). I have a breast lift/augmentation scheduled for 1/24/13 and couldn't be more ecstatic! However, being that my baby is so young and not walking, is recovery going to be an issue? (My surgeon's not worried, but I am)! My husband is able to help for about a week but will I be okay on my own after that?! Any advice or tricks on lifting kiddos?! And realistically, how long until you're "back to normal.". Thanks in advance!

Dealing with the kids after surgery

+2

Nearly every woman with children has the same concerns you do;  who is going to take care of my kids when I'm recovering?  I'm sure your husband will be able to help out and gradually, you will be able to perform more and more as you recover.  Mom always manages a way to figure out a solution.  Good luck with your surgery.  Your baby will be fine!

+2

I seem to be in the minority here, but so long as you are wearing a well fitting and supportive brassiere, I think there is little risk to you by lifting your child after 7 to 10 days. If you can get some help for a few more days, so much the better. 

By 10 days, the main issue will be that it may be painful to lift your child, but you will quickly determine how best to do this. In and out of the crib is the most difficult maneuver. 

You should be back to normal by six weeks or less.Best wishes. 

Recovery After Breast Augmentation

+2

Thank you very much for your question. I think your surgeon is correct. If you have help from your husband for a week I'm sure it will be adequate time for your recovery in terms of your children. My experience is that people don't have issues with lifting children. People can have issues when they decide to go back to work or exercise to soon after surgery. Hope this answers your question.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast augment patient with an infant

+2
Thank you for this excellent question. Your plan for the first postop week when your husband will be home is ideal. However, I am concerned with the lack of assistance afterwards. A 23 pounder is a heavy load to lift one week post op and can produce complications so I would prefer for you to have some assistance at home to make the procedure as safe and comfortable as possible.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Recovery after a breast lift/ augmentation and lifting a young child

+2

This is not an unusual question or concern and every patient is a bit different.  In general it would be good for you to have some help for the first 10 days after surgery.   If you stay in your bra and avoid direct injury to the breast after surgery you will most likely be okay.  Moderation is the key to a safe and healthy recovery.  

Lift and augmentation

+2

I tell my patietnts that  have small children that they should avoid lifting the children for two or more weeks after surgery.

Lifting a Baby after Breast Augmentation

+2

Lifting and upper arm exertion immediately after breast augmentation is not recommended. Not only can there be direct trauma to the breasts themselves but, particularly if the implant is under the muscle, you can injure the healing muscle. This can cause hematomas, seromas, and painful muscle injury.

I advise my patients to refrain from lifting for about four weeks post-op. Perhaps you should look into getting someone to help with the baby for a few weeks.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

Recovery may be an issue with an infant

+2

Although you are likely to feel well in one to two weeks, the risk of causing problems by lifting an infant is real for 4 to 6 weeks.  The most common problem I have seen is young mothers developing a hematoma (bleeding that requires additional surgery) at the 2 week point after surgery.  It is usually caused by lifting their child into a car seat or out of a crib.

Each surgeon has their own protocol, but you might look into getting some help with the little one for a few weeks.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

23 lbs and Breast Augmentation and Lift

+2

Children at that age and weight may present problems in the recovery period after breast augmentation and lift.  I would recommend 4 to 6 weeks for you to protect your breasts. 

Child Care after Cosmetic Surgery

+1

No recovery will not be an issue especially after 1 week post-op. Be sure to lift you infant close to your chest and try not to reach or stretch too much, and good luck!

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon