Do You Usually Charge a Consultation Fee for a Revision of YOUR OWN Work?

I have an unsatisfactory rhinoplasty result (my surgeon agrees) and am being charged consultation fees for a revision from my surgeon (Approx $150 just for the consult). I was told at the time of surgery that any revision costs would be free if a revision was needed. It seems unfair that I need to pay for a consultation fee for a correction of his own work--is this typical? Do you normally charge a fee for a consultation to speak about correction of your own work? Please help.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Fees vary from surgeon to surgeon.I have not heard of a surgeon charging a consultation fee to evaluate his/her surgery for the possibility of a revision.

Consultation Fee for Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Office or consultation fees, as with other fees, for cosmetic surgery vary among plastic surgery offices and. Some plastic surgeons have no charge, while some practices charge office fees only for new patients. I don't think most plastic surgeons would charge a consultation fee for their own patients who are considering revision rhinoplasty. Surgeons may charge another fee for the actual revision surgery though. Lastly, clerical errors may occur with any office, so speak with the practice to confirm charges are billed and applied appropriately.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

No "consultation" fee- this is follow up

+2

Hello! I do not charge a consultation fee for my patients- if we are discussing my work, it is considered a follow up, not a consultation, thus it is inappropriate to consider it a consultation anyway. Perhaps this was a mistake on the part of the scheduler- I would absolutely argue this, as all follow up- to include whether or not revision is appropriate- should be included as part of the original procedure. I personally do charge revision patients for anesthesia, but not for evaluation or for the procedure itself. good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

No I don't charge a revision fee.

+2

Hello Freckels99,

No I don't charge revision fees on my own revision procedures.  My patients are responsible for anesthesia and facility charges though.  If the procedure is something that can be done in my office we charge a tray fee.  This is all discussed with my patients ahead of time at their initial surgery's preop appointment and they sign a revision policy statement covering this.  In my practice, this policy is a limited time offer that extends for a certain period of time after the initial surgery to allow for safe healing but before normal aging or an accident can alter the outcome of the first surgery.  Also, my patient only gets one touch-up procedure for free.  After that, they get charged a surgeon's fee.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

I do not charge a consultation fee. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Consultation fee for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. Typically, a revision performed by your original surgeon is discussed during a post-operative appointment at some interval after your initial surgery. If touch-up work is necessary, whether or not there is a charge really depends on the surgeon and the practice. In my practice, we do not charge a separate consultation fee if the patient needs a revision. The consultation fee typically has the following characteristics:

1) It is for new patients only
2) Depending on the practice, it may be applied toward the surgery

I would recommend speaking with your surgeon further about your options. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon Charging Fee to Evaluate Own Work?

+1

It's very possible that this charge was simply an administrative error.  Are you sure that the person who scheduled you KNOWS that you are basically just scheduling a follow up visit, where the surgeon gives his assessment of your results -- and further recommendations based on that assessment?  I can understand a surgeon charging for a revision when he/she is convinced that most would agree that your nose looks better than before the surgery, but charging for a follow up where he/she is just giving their assessment and opinion is hard to justify in my mind.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

consultation fee for a post-op visit

+1

We only charge for a consultation at the initial appointment when the patient comes to the office. Postoperative checkups are part of the surgical fee for cosmetic surgery. We do not charge a consultation fee to revise our own work, however we only charge for anesthesia when we perform a revision.

+1

Once I've operated on a patient, they become a part of the practice and so it's unlikely that we would charge a consultation fee. In your question you stated that your surgeon is willing to perform revision surgery at no charge. If that is truly the case, then it might be worth your while to pay the fee and get the complimentary revision if you and your surgeon agree on a plan.

Michael Godin, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon