Will the asymmetrical nostrils and slant ever even out? When? (photos)

Almost 2 weeks post op. My doctor is not concerned, but I am worried. It makes sense that when the swelling goes down it will be better, but the nostrils and splint/nose were uneven from the moment I woke up from surgery. Is that normal? My nostrils are so uneven, I think it is causing it to look like my nose to look more slanted than it is. I don't see my doctor again until 4 weeks post op. Thanks in advance!! Thanks in advance!!

Nostril asymmetry following rhinoplasty

I would be interested in seeing photos of your nose prior to surgery.  It does appear that your columella is tilted to the right and there is a small amount of notching in the ala on the left with nostril asymmetry.  2 weeks is way too soon to tell what the final outcome will be like.  I think the 4 week visit is a better guage of the future appearance of your nose.  If at that time it still has the issues you are having now it may be more reason for concern if these were not present prior to your rhinoplasty.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time is needed

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Will the asymmetrical nostrils and slant ever even out? When?

2 weeks is very early, and swelling can be asymmetric.  The best thing to do is follow with your surgeon.