Surgeon Said I May Need a Higher Than Normal Scar? (photo)

I have had only 1 consultation & was told that a horizontal TT may not completely remove the damaged skin above my umbilicus & that it may necessitate a high hip2hip scar OR a long vertical scar & the "use" of my c-section scar. I was hoping the scar would be where my c-section scar is...What necessitates a higher than normal scar? Are other options available to avoid this? I plan on having other consultations, I am just nervous that they'll all say the same thing :-/ Thanks in advance!

+2

You have a great body, and your scar can be low (where your C-section scar is).  My preference would be to place it exactly where the black straps of your bottom normally lie in the first picture on the left, so the straps would cover the scar.  The scar should be kept short also.  Your result should be spectacular because of your great abdominal wall compliance, sufficient soft tissue to sculpt muscular contours, your hourglass shape, your large amount of excess yet elastic skin which will lead to a dramatic result, and your well defined lateral rectus abdominis contour in the hypogastrium (lower abdomen).  Don't settle for deformity, go for beauty.

Low position of Tummy Tuck scar is possible for you

+1

Thank you for sending your question and photos. From your photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a Tummy Tuck and below scar should be possible.

When plastic surgeons recommend a higher scar they are usually concerned that you do not have enough loose skin to be removed. However this does not seen the case for you.

Consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Higher than normal scar

+1

It appears from your photos that a low abdominal incision could be utilized.  The distance from the umbilicus to the base of the sternum looks to be longer than the distance from the umbilicus to the pubis.  It that's the case then no vertical incision should be necessary to close where the umbilicus incision was made.  Your surgeon does need to deal with the diastasis/muscle laxity issue.  Get another opinion or two.  Good luck with your procedure. 

Earl H. Parrish, MD (retired)
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Scar Options for a Tummy Tuck

+1

There are multiple options for placement of the scar and for the type of abdominoplasty. Each option can result in a reasonable improvement, but each has its advantages and disadvantages. A lower placement of the incision and removing the C-section scar is a reasonable option and can produce a smoother tighter abdomen, but the lax tissue and any stretch marks above the belly button may not be totally removed with a limited or modified abdominoplasty. Patients with stretch marks above the belly button may still have residual stretch marks, no matter which type of abdominoplasty is performed. Following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss you concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD, FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for the series of posted photos. Yes you can have the C-section scar extended but in the mid line a small vertical component will be necessary. 

Scar

+1

It is hard to say where or how high your scar will be without an examination. If you have a lot of skin laxity then the scar can be low.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

High Tummy Tuck scar?

+1

I agree with most of the comments already placed. You should be a good candidate for a low scar at the site of the previous caesarian section. I would expect you would get a very good result, but some of the loose skin would remain. This is the skin that sits above you belly button at present. It would be moved, but not completely removed. Regardless I think you would still get a very good result. I would recommend you seek a second opinion. Ensure you see a "proper" Plastic Surgeon. Sean Nicklin, Plastic Surgeon, Sydney, Australia.

Sean Nicklin, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Placement of Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

You absolutely need to use your C-Section scar to prevent problems with the tissue between the two scars if you place a scar higher. There are ways to tell if you will need a vertical scar to close the umbilicus location, but, from the picture, I would almost be willing to bet that you could get by with just the transverse scar. I would seek a second opinion and make sure that opinion is from a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board Of Plastic Surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Placement of Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

Based on your photos, it appears that you could have a low tummy tuck scar.  It would be wise to seek a second opinion prior to your surgery. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Placement of TT scar.

+1

The tummy tuck scar should be as low as possible and as short as possible.  You are a perfectly excellent candidate for a very low and very short scar.  Forget the first consultation and see others with more experience.  Be sure and choose only real surgeons that have FACS after their name and are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  My best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon