How Much Can a 325cc High Profile Silicone Implant Be Filled?

I just had my consultation today and by the measurements taken from the surgeon he said that a 250cc mod plus would fit of a high profile 325cc would fit. However I want to go bigger than 325cc. Would the 325cc implant be able to get filled after being inserted? and How much? Im looking on going about 400cc. My waist is 29 at the base of my breast and I believe my chest looks more convex then concave. I am currently about a 34A bra size and have lost a lot of breast fat tissue due to leaning down a lot.

Implant Selection Process

+1

Silicone implants are pre filled and therefore volume cannot be changed.  Saline, on the other hand, can be overfilled.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Silicone Implants Cannot Be Filled

+1

Although silicone implants cannot be filled or overfilled, saline implants frequently are overfilled in the manner you describe.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

No you can't

+1

Silicone implants are pre filled and you can't fill them.  Also, the 250 vs 325cc implant choices don't make sense?????  Make sure you look at the surgeon's before/after work before choosing your plastic surgeon (make sure they are showing you at least 40 before/after photos with front/quarter turn and profile views from each patient) and ask to speak to one or two patients who recently had surgery with the doctor.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Silicone implants

+1

Silicone implants are pre-filled to,a specific volume.  You cannot use a 325 cc implant and fill it to something else.  If you want 400 cc's, you will need to use silicone gel implants that come filled to 400 cc's.  The volume can be altered with saline implants since the surgeon actually fill them at the time of surgery, but not so with silicone. 

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

The Size of a Silicone Implant Cannot be Adjusted

+1

First of all, silicone implants come from the factory already filled and sealed.  Therefore, the size of a silicone implant cannot be adjusted

Saline implants come from the factory as a shell only and are filled once they are placed in the body.  Saline implants are typically overfilled past their nominal value (usually about 10% or so).  For example, a 400cc saline implant might be overfilled to about 440cc.

Secondly, the size of implant chosen for each patient is dependent on a few different factors.  Some of these factors include the dimensions of the existing breast, the character of the breast skin and the patient's desired outcome. 

Depending on your situation it may not be appropriate to place a 400cc implant

Your surgeon should work with you to help determine your best outcome.

David P. Stapenhorst, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Sizing for Breast Augmentation

+1

Most saline implants can be safely overfilled by about 20% of their volume. So for a 325 cc implant it would be safe to fill it over by about 65 cc's. Under filling can lead to fold flaws and lead to early rupture. You always want to overfill saline a little to avoid this problem.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Sizing for breast augmentation

+1

When selecting the right size implant there are many considerations to take into account. Aside from listening to the patient's desires, other facets that should play an important role in this decision are the dimensions of the patient's breast and chest wall, elasticity of the skin and breast tissue, the degree of sagging or lack there of, and chest wall or breast deformities. As for your specific question about a high profile implant being filled at the time of surgery, this can only be done (with in reason) with saline implants...not silicone gel.  I think you should return to your surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Sizing of implants

+1

It has been extremely helpful for me to use computer imaging with 3D simulations using virtual implants of various profiles and size to accurately show my patients what they can realistically expect post-operatively. You may want to seek the advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon that has this capability in his or her office in your area. All the best!

Scott A. Brenman, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Can a 325cc High Profile Silicone Implant Have Additional Fill?

+1

Silicone implants come prefilled and sealed, so no additional fill can be added. Saline implants are not prefilled but each implant has a specified fill range. In general it is better to fill the implant to the upper end of the fill range to avoid an underfilled, wrinkled implant which can a have an increased long term risk of deflation.

If you would like to be larger, this is something that you should discuss with your surgeon. Likely they recommended that size they did because they felt it fit your frame and the base dimension of your breast. You mention that you have lost much of your breast fat, likely making your tissues quite thin. If that is the case, then the surgeon may have recommended a smaller implant size so as not to overstretch and further thin your breast tissues. If your tissues are quite thin a larger implant will be more visible and you have an increased risk of visible rippling. This can even occur with silicone gel implants. So you might need to adjust your size goal to minimize the risk of other problems.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implants Are Not Adjustable

+1

The quick answer to your question is: silicone implants are not adjustable , unlike saline implants which have a range of fill volumes depending on size, profile and manufacturer. It is difficult to discuss or give you accurate advice about the size you desire without an exam or at least a photo. That being said, 400cc is not a very large implant, and most likely can be placed without too much difficulty. Perhaps a second opinion is in order. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon