Can Vigorous Physical Activity After Rhinoplasty Cause Complications?

Can vigorous physical exercise lead to abnormal scar tissue formation or swelling? After 8 months, can I now do vigorous physical activity without worrying about abnormal scar tissue formation or swelling?

Should be safe to start exercising

+1
By this time, you should be safe to proceed with vigorous exercise, however take care if you are playing contact sports. If you have experienced a lengthy recovery and are still having trouble, please ask your surgeon before starting. 

While you're recovering vigorous exercise can contribute to swelling and pain. I generally recommend to my patients that they refrain from exercising for 6 weeks after surgery.   

You should be ok

+1

Hi,

As long as you have had no problems thus far with your nose, vigorous activity should not induce any abnormal scar tissue or swelling. If a little swelling does happen, it should go away.

Generally, we tell patients to wait a week or two before exercising, and then about six to eight weeks before you do anything activities where the nose might be hit. It has obviously been longer than that so you should be ok.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Yes you can.

+1

Full resumption of physical activity can be done after 3 months or less. So don't worry if the nose swells a little--it will go down.

At eight months you should be able to do what ever you want

+1

My plan with rhinoplasty is that the patient should be extremely careful for the first two weeks. The patient should not do anything which would raise the pulse or blood pressure, no bending over, lifting or straining, no blowing or clearing the nose except with nasal washes. This is to minimize the chance of bleeding. After the fist two weeks I allow them to exercise but they must avoid trauma to the nose for 6-8 weeks after the surgery. Then it is back to normal function unless there has been a problem.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Returning to Physical Activity Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Most surgeons recommend that patients refrain from any physical exertion in the first 2-4 weeks after rhinoplasty and avoid any activities in which the nose might be hit or bumped for the first 6 to 8 weeks.

After that time patients may return to their normal activities without fear that their result will be damaged.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon