6 weeks post op Mommy Makeover, drain taken out at 4 weeks, reinserted yesterday and drained 400cc in 24 hours.
Victoria, British Columbia
1 year ago
My surgeon is away in Palm springs but I saw RN yesterday. She was concerned about the amount my stomach was filled and replaced the drain, but the color of the drain fluid is concerning me. It is bright red. Should I be worried? Should I seek another Doctors advice while mine is away? Why is this fluid still a problem? I wear my binder super tight 24 hours a day, have been fairly inactive, although is has been very tough as I am at 6 weeks post op now. Is there anything I can do to help my healing?
Doctor Answers (4)
You should see the plastic surgeon who is covering for your surgeon while he or she is away. If you live in a town with only one plastic surgeon, you should have your surgeon arrange for you to see a general surgeon.
- Fluid collection of 400 cc at 6 weeks after a tummy tuck is not normal.
- It may be a seroma - requiring daily drainage until fluid subsides
- and surgery if fluid does not subside
- But red fluid in a seroma this late after surgery suggests an infection.
- Loosen your compression garment.
- Have the RN culture the fluid, contact your plastic surgeon and arrange for you to be seen for whoever is covering for your surgeon, ifs/he is unavailable. Best wishes.
A seroma that persist for long period of time can develop the capsule that might require surgical excision for the most prompt in best outcome.
HI. I would be concerned at this amount of drainage if it is bright red - ask the surgeon's RN to organise someone to see you or at least discuss it with your surgeon. Regards Charles Cope
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.