Vicryl Reaction in Inside Stitches After Labiaplasty

5 weeks post op and I have numerous (20+) painful knots inside my labia all up and down it. My doc says to wait until 13 weeks post op and if they haven't fully disappeared by then, he will remove them. He said this is a rare occurence and I am one of the "lucky" few. Is there any chance these will dissolve on their own and if so, is there anything I can do to encourage this? They are sore..Anything you recommend for the pain? Hopeful but unsure :) Thanks in advance for your input!

After Labiaplasty

+2

Dear 28070

Very sorry. 5 weeks after surgery with +20 painful knots inside your labia. Personally, I would remove them. They will certainly dissolve and go away on their own even if you do not have them removed. Best wishes Dr Sadove

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Stitches

+1

First, call your plastic surgeon and make them aware of your concerns. Sutures may take longer to dissolve in some patients, but make your surgeon aware that you are experiencing pain.  It is sometimes necessary to have even dissolving stitches removed.

Richard P. Glunk, MD, FACS

Richard P. Glunk, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty - 5 Weeks Post op; Exposed Vicryl Suture Knots are Painful, Can They Be Removed?

+1

Hi 28070anon,

I would normally use faster-dissolving monofilament suture such as Monocryl, and for exactly this reason.

However, at 5 weeks I would expect that your tissues would be adequately healed and that you can ask your surgeon to cut out the painful knots and any other exposed sutures.  Of course, the sutures are placed to hold tissues together, so you don't want to have them removed too soon.

You should speak with your plastic surgeon about this and any other issues you have.  Your plastic surgeon knows exactly what was done, how many sutures, and layers of sutures, were used and therefore which are safe to remove.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

+1

I dont use vicryl for this type of surgery, I use a faster absorbing suture so that stiches do not even need to be removed and are typically dissolved in 5-7 days.  Vicryl lasts longer than other abdorbable sutures.  If you are having painful knots after  5 weeks of surgery, I would not wait to remove the sutures!  Have them removed now!  You are sufficiently healed that you should not need sutures for wound support.  If you are worried about the pain of the suture removal, you surgeon can prescribe you a topical anesthetic that will make you numb before removing the sutures.  Alternately, you can leave them in and they will eventually dissolve, but that will prolong your misery!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

LABIOPLASTY POST OPERATIVE RECOVERY

+1

After a Labiaplasty patients are usually sore for a few weeks and its not uncommon to have some sutures that might become irritating.  If this should happen just visit your surgeon and they can be removed immediately and the discomfort will be eliminated once they are removed.  Sutures however are placed to hold the tissue together and they shouldn't't be removed too soon, otherwise there wont be complete healing. 

It is also really important to be careful about your activity...i.e. housekeeping, wearing tight jeans or tight clothing in the area of the repair.  Forget bike riding and sexual intercourse for six weeks as well.  Common sense in the recovery period is key.

Good Luck to you.

Dr. Henry

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Close follow-up is a must

+1

I do not use Vicryl down there but in your situation close follow-up with your surgeon is the best course of action. While I have seen occasional suture reactions, I have yet to see so many stitches involved. It is usually only one if it happens at all. Your surgeon should examine you and help determine which stitches should be removed if any.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Painful irritating vicryl sutures with labiaplasty

+1

In regards to your sutures, I would also agree to remove them at this point in time. This does happen rarely and I have seen it in about 1 out of 50 patients. Typically removing the sutures results in almost immediate relief of pain. The sutures will dissolve on their own. However, that can take some time. Occasionally topical anesthetic agents such as Dermaplasty or Neo to go will provide temporary symptomatic relief.  I would do this only after discussing it with your surgeon.