Is the Vi Peel Safe to Use at Home? Effective?

Is the Vi peel a type of enzyme peel? I heard of this peel(Vi peel) that people can use at home because its so gentle. I was told that that this peel would be good for those using Obaji products which can cause the skin to desquamate in some cases. This peel is supposed to be so gentle you can do it at home everyday to help eleviate a lot of this dead scaling skin so that the peeling effect is not that bad.

The Vi Peel is not for home use

+2

The Vi Peel is a professional strength peel that should only be administered by a licensed professional.

VI Peel is not safe for home use and should be applied by professional only

+2

While the VI Peel might feel less intense than some other chemical peels that can be used at home the VI Peel yields greater product penetration and peeling effects on the skin.  It feels less intense most likely because the phenol solution that is used in the peel creates a numbing effect on the skin. This allows for the solution to be tolerated easily but don't let it deceive you into thinking it is safe for home use or that it is a gentle peel.  The ingredients are strong TCA, Salicylic, Phenol and should be monitored by a physician to ensure the peel is safe for your skin, considering your skin type, daily skincare regimen, other medications that might interact, allergies, etc..  Additionally, the VI Peel solution is a runny liquid that should be applied by a professional while your eyes are closed. 

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

VI Peel: By Expert, Not for Home use

+2

The Vi pee is an excellent peel that combines a lot of ingredients such as TCA, Phenol, salicylic acid, and other vitamins. Even though you participate in the peel process by using the towelette soaked with Retin A, the initial application is performed by an expert such a board certified plastic surgeon. This is not a Do-it -yourself peel.

For best outcome in any cosmetic procedure, make sure you do your research on who is doing the peel. In my Atlanta office, I personally apply the peel.

Stanley Okoro, MD

ViPeel not for home use

+1
The ViPeel is very effective at reducing facial irregularities such as melasma, wrinkles, acne etc, but it is not for home use. Using this peel everyday could seriously injure your skin permenantly. I suggest having the peel done at a dermatologist or plastic surgeon's office.

Daniel J. Ladd Jr., DO
Austin Dermatologist

Vi Peel: great results, but not for home use

+1

I have no idea where you got the idea that a Vi peel is appropriate for home use, let alone daily use!  A Vi Peel is a combination of TCA, retin-A, salicylic acid, Vitamin C, and Phenol.  It's actually a strong peel with a few days of peeling time.  It does give great results on all skin types, and you can maintain those results with a good skincare regimen at home.  But, please, let a professional evaluate your skin and administer the peel.

Carmen Kavali, MD

ViPeel needs to be applied by a professional... You wouldn't consider doing your own surgery!

+1

The Vi peel is not a peel or enzyme that can be used at home, as the procedure does require a higher understanding of skin types, technique, and the risks involved...

This peel is a synergistic blend of phenol, TCA, salicylic acid, retinoic acid and vitamin C that must be applied in a medical environment.  After having the VI peel, patients experience moderate to extreme peeling and redness on day 3-5 and begin to look their best after 7-10 days.   I would only recommend having the Vi peel prior to starting or following completion of the Obagi System.  

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Vi Peel is not for home use.

+1

I am not sure where you heard this information, but the Vi peel is certainly not a 'gentle peel' and would never be recommended for home use. It is a combination of TCA, Phenol, salicylic acid and a few other ingredients, that was originally formulated for acne and hyperpigmentation. This a peel that estheticians can use only under the supervision of a physician. It is a very good chemical peel, but if used improperly can have some serious side effects.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist