Redness After Vi Peel

I got a Vi Peel 3 days ago and my skin starts to peel off, and the skin turned to brown too. It also was really easy for me to take the dead skin off, so without thinking, I took plenty of the dead skin off, but some of the new skin is pretty red and it hurts a little. I'm wondering, will the redness be gone after the peeling process is over, or it may take longer for my skin to recover?

Vi Peel

+1

It is not advisable to peel off the skin. You should let it slough off naturally. Peeling off the skin will prolong your healing time and increase redness. The redness should resolve over time. During the peeling process you should apply the post peel protectant as needed. There is a post peel kit that comes with instructions as well. You should consult with the person who performed your peel.

Redness and VI Peel

+1

The skin turns darker right before it is about to start peeling.  It is best not to pick at the skin because you can expose the skin to soon and make it raw as well as prolong the redness and peeling process.  The redness will go away so have patience with your skin's healing time.  It is new skin coming through so be sure to apply sunscreen and have a good post peel skin care regimen.  It will take the skin longer to recover if you are picking at the skin during the peeling process.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/skin-peels-austin.html

Redness after a Vi Peel

+1

Redness can be a normal occurence during any chemical peel including the Vi peel. One thing you should not do while you are peeling, however, is pick at you skin. I know it is tempting. The best thing you can do to get rid of the flakes is to apply more moisturizer. This will soften the scale and help it come off without damaging the skin. This will help you get a better result.

Web reference: http://www.aglowdermatology.com

Typical reaction to ViPeel

+1

Hi there-

Everything you have explained sounds like a normal reaction to the vi peel.

It is very important however that you do not try to pull off the dead skin as this can take healthy tissue with it and leave the new skin very red and inflamed.

The redness will heal but may take a few days to subside after you have finished peeling. Typically the peeling process is complete by the end of day 5 and then the skin remains pink and somewhat sensitive for another 2-3 days after that.

By day 10, most patients are very pleased with how their skin looks and feels and do not have any remaining redness or irritation.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Don't force the peel

+1

With any really effective peel, you will see some redness and this is normal.

You should have received instructions not to peel off the loose skin. It is hard to resist, but the body is smart and doesn't shed old skin until new skin is ready for exposure.

Stop assisting the peel. See your dermatologist so you can stay out of the woods on this. You may have created an additional inflammatory state which might need additional treatment with a calming RX or extra UV protection.

Stay out of the heat - including hot showers and saunas, over a stove, in front of a fireplace, exercising which causes you to flush or sweat.

Chemical peels cause purposeful controlled injuries to the skin. But the key here lies in the control. By prematurely peeling off skin before it is ready to be removed, you can actually create an uncontrolled injury and cause problems not only with redness but potential Hyperpigmentation and/or scarring.

See your doctor and 'fess up to not following the post care instructions.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Redness after Vi Peel

+1

In general, it is important not to pick at or pull off the dead skin unless it is almost ready to fall of spontaneously. For prolonged redness (lasting 1 week or longer), I worry about the possibility of impending scarring and usually recommend a few days of topical corticosteroids. Since it has only been 3 days, the redness you have noticed is probably normal. I would stay in close contact with your treating physician during the healing phase to ensure that recovery from your peel is occurring without complications.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist