Should I Get the Vi Peel Before or After my Vacation?

I will be going to Mexico for vacation in 3 1/2 weeks and want to know whether it's better to get my peel before my vacation or after I return. I know that I won't be able to avoid being in the sun. Thank you for your advice!!

Vi Peel before or after vacation

+1

If you are taking your vacation in a sunny place, then you should do your ViPeel after.  Sun exposure while you are healing can cause inflammation and hyper pigmentation.  Your skin should be treated gently and carefully during the healing process.  Remember to use sun protection and avoid sun exposure even if you are NOT on vacation.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Peels and Sun Exposure

+1

Most Peels lighten the skin, and therefore make you more venerable to the sun.  Even though it only takes three to four days for the skin to completely flake off with the Vi Peel, your skin will still be sensitive for a while after.

I would avoid getting a peel of any type, or resurfacing before a sunny vacation, especially Mexico. The sun becomes stronger as you approach the Equator. If you get burned, especially after a peel, you are more likely to develop dark spots or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It is unlikely that you will be as attentive to your sunscreen on a vacation as you should be .

Enjoy the Margaritas, and have your peel when you get home.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Vi Peel Vs. Vacation

+1

Vi Peel causes the skin to shed its rough, dead and sun damaged layers, leaving the skin exposed and sensitive to the elements. I would think you are much better off doing the Vi Peel after you return from vacation. In the mean time, use a good sunscreen when you are on vacation.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

VI Peel in Atlanta

+1

If you have an upcoming vacation, it is better to peel away the damage after the vacation. I would highly recommend frequent peeling especially after prolonged sun exposure. Don't forget your sunblock!

Stanley Okoro, MD

Vi Peel should be applied when you are not going to be in the sun

+1

While the Vi Peel is a treatment for sun damage and Hyperpigmentation it should not be done prior to being in the sun.  The Vi Peel causes peeling of the outer most skin cells allowing new less damaged cells to get to the surface, but while this process is occurring the skin temporarily has less natural protection from UV rays. You can try hats and SPF to block UV rays but it is not worth the risk. Wait to have your peel when you return from your trip.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should you have a peel before or after your sunny vacation?

+1

I hope you decided to have your Vi Peel AFTER your vacation.  If you know you're going to have unavoidable prolonged sun exposure, it's best to postpone any facial procedure that targets pigmentation. 

Carmen Kavali, MD