Applying Acetone 100% Necessary Before Vi Peel?

I'll be applying the Vi Peel after I come out of the shower, so my skin will already be thoroughly cleansed. Will Acetone still be necessary? Thanks.

For most effective VI Peel apply acetone to defat/degrease skin prior to treatment

+2

Defatting the skin (degreasing) is important to get the most peel and product penetration from your VI Peel.  If you don't want to use acetone prior to treatment you can use a bubbly or foaming cleanser (that doesn't add moisture) rinse, pat dry and apply isopropyl alcohol to prep the skin prior to applying the VI Peel solution. 

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably not necessary to apply acetone before Vi Peel

+2

As long as you aren't applying moisturizers or conditioners to the skin after washing your skin then you probably don't need the acetone.  Acetone is used to remove the natural oils and greases and sun screens on the skin so the peel can penetrate more uniformly.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Applying Acetone 100% necessary before VI Peel

+1

Yes Acetone is necessary before a VI peel.  It is a degreaser and allows the peel to penetrate better by removing all of the oil from the skin.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Alcohol is an alternative to degrease the skin before a Vi Peel

+1

Degreasing the skin before a Vi Peel is recommended for best results, however, you don't have to use acetone. In my office, we routinely use rubbing alcohol and we get excellent results.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Treatment before a Vi Peel

+1

Acetone is a harsh chemical and is often used before chemical peels to enhance penetration of the acid.  If you do not like the acetone, kindly ask your physician to avoid the product and opt for foaming cleanser instead. I perform the Vi Peel and alteranative chemical peels, depending on the patient. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acetone and the ViPeel

+1

Hi there-

Even though your skin will be thoroughly cleansed I would still recommend using acetone prior to a VI peel.  The acetone will help to remove any residue possibly left behind by a cleanser and allow more effective penetration of the peeling solution.  

Remember- the goal is to get the best outcome possible.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Acetone Before Vi Peel

+1

Although cleansing the skin with soaps will remove a majority of the dirt and debris from your face a good astringent is necessary to break up and remove the oils.  Acetone is basically the strongest astringent you can use that is not too toxic.  So, yes you do need to clean with acetone first.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon