Vertical Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks

Vertical Tummy Tuck to Get Rid of All Stretch Marks? if U Get the Scar Going Up and Down?

Plusses and Minuses of a Vertical Scar (Fleur de Lis, Lily) Tummy Tuck

+2

Regarding:  "Vertical Tummy Tuck to Get Rid of All Stretch Marks? if U Get the Scar Going Up and Down?"

Everything in life has trade-offs ; You work out in the gym 7 days a week you get a nice body but may have no life outside the gym etc.

As women get stretched out from the inside by a rapidly growing womb their tummy skin gets stretched much more in the center, just above the belly button, than low down near their privates where skin stretching is minimal due to the protection of the pelvic bones which do not allow stretching. As a result most excess skin and stretch marks are both higher and central, in the area of the belly button.

A standard Tummy Tuck, depending on how low the transverse scar is placed and the looseness of the skin, may remove much of the damaged skin between the transverse scar and the belly button. It however cannot remove much of the skin above the belly button.

A Vertical scar Tummy Tuck, or better described inverted "T"" shaped (or Fleur de Lis"- French for Lily flower, seen on the coat of arms on the Bourbon family) Tummy Tuck WILL remove a LOT of this damage central skin and allow use of a lot shorter transverse scars BUT at the cost of a permanent vertical scar which cannot be hidden when wearing a 2 piece bathing suit.

The choice should depend on what is more important to YOU - a much flatter tummy with less stretch marks or the absence of a vertical scar. In other words "You pays your money and you takes your chance(s)" OR choosing between Scylla and Charybdis. YOU CHOOSE.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Vertical tummy tuck scars

+2

It is true that tummy tuck will not remove all stretch marks, only those below the belly button. Vertical scars in tummy tuck cannot be hidden and are rarely worth the trade-off to reduce stretch marks further. Very occasionally we find tummy tuck candidates with a mid-line abdominal scar that we can take advantage of. Also for patients with large amounts of weight loss, a T pattern tummy tuck is an option to narrow the waist. For most, however, the vertical scar just won't do.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Stretch marks and vertical excision

+1

When performing a tummy tuck, the traditional incision is placed transversely in the lower groin region.  A vertical scar is combined in some individuals who have severe laxity.  I would not use it just to remvoe stretch marks.

Incision Decisions For Tummy Tucks

+1

Whether or not you need a vertical approach (the up and down type of skin removal) is the real question.  Most people do not.  Many stretch marks can be removed with a standard tummy tuck.  Plus, most stretch marks tend to look better once the skin has been re tensioned following a tummy tuck.  If you have red, angry looking stretch marks, then  there are other techniques that may benefit you.   Including a photo of yourself is a good idea if you want to get specific answers.  In my experience, I have only needed to use a vertical incision in patients who have undergone massive weight loss (where there was just too much skin both in the vertical and horizontal directions), or in patients who have a pre existing scar there from previous abdominal surgery.  In my practice, this subgroup is less than 1% of my patients.  Surgeons who sub specialize in post obesity reconstruction use this type of incision much more commonly.  The best thing for you to do is to invest in a few consultations with board certified surgeons and educate yourself about this.  Once you find someone you like, that also likes you, and who knows how to fix your problem, then you will be all set.  

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Vertical tummy tuck to get rid of stretch marks.

+1

There is no guarantee that a vertical tummy tuck will get rid of all the stretch marks. There are a variety of options and another possibility is the Fleur-de-lis which is a combination of vertical and horizontal scars.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Vertical tummy tuck is good only if you have a lot of loose skin.

+1

Hi

This topic is of special interest to me. The fleur de lys tummy tuck (which leaves an upside down T scar) is a very good operation to remove large amounts of skin, and patients accept the scar well. It is particularly useful in people who have lost a lot of weight.

Vertical Tummy Tuck for Stretch Marks

+1

Very BAD idea to have vertical scar. They never seem to heal well. But you shouls see 3 boarded plastic surgeons in person to discuss your options. From Miami, Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091