Is This Vertical Scar Normal After MOM?

I had a Mommy makeover that included a full tummy tuck. After surgery I developed a vertical line/scar from my belly button to my tummy tuck horizontal incision. I was told this vertical scar was due to a lack of blood supply and that it should resolve on its own. I am almost 8 weeks post surgery and the scar is still very visible. It is 2 inches long and redish/brown. Would this vertical scar go away? How I should be treating it? Currently I am putting silicon sheeting at night. Thanks!

Scar therapy after a tummy tuck

+1

The vertical scar is sometimes necessary with a tummy tuck, and silicone is great for treating tummy tuck scars.

Vertical scars with a tummy tuck might be deemed necessary by your surgeon to obtain optimal results.

+1

If the extent of skin laxity is greater than can be corrected with a standard lower horizontal elliptical skin excision, some surgeons may opt for a vertical midline resection with scar. Although i rarely find it necessary to do this except in extreme cases of skin excess or massive weight loss, your scar will mature and soften under proper guidance and scar therapy and might be able to be minimized with a future scar revision, flap advancement.

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Mommy makeover question

+1

It sounds like you are doing the right things and your doctor is following you so you just need to be patient. May need a minor laser procedure or in office touch up in a year.   Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scar after tummy tuck

+1

This can happen when tummy tuck tissue is pulled very tight.

What is good - your tissue survived although it scarred.

On the disappointing side - you have the scar and need patience for it to improve.

Eight weeks is early for a scar.

It takes at least 6 months for scars to soften and improve.

Silicone sheeting or steristrips will help.

The redness is probably from increased blood flow. In six months, a laser treatment

may help to fade it. Before trying that - be sure to check with your surgeon.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Scar after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Without direct examination or viewing pictures it is not possible to give you advice about the “line/scar” you are referring to. Obviously, your plastic surgeon is in the best position to do so.

Generally speaking it will take at least one year before the “line/scar” will achieve a longer term appearance.  Much of this appearance will depend on whether the  “scar” involves full thickness skin  or if it is a area of partial thickness vascular compromise that can be seen after this surgery.

Again, I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

How to deal with a scar

+1

Thank you for your question. In general scars are permanent. They take however, long time settle and continue to change for more than a year. The change in the scarring may take up to two years and anything after two years is likely to be permanent. You are using silicone sheet which will help to improve the scar. Other methods for scar treatment include Maderma, scar guard ect. Your plastic surgeon can advise you on that. It is also helpful to massage  the scar. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Verticle tummy tuck scar

+1

This scar should be managed by your plastic surgeon the same as your lower horizontal one. Speak with him/her at your next visit. In general, scars will improve for at least a year but will not disappear.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Scars

+1

Scars are permanent. Once you have a scar it will improve with time, but you will always have a scar.