Vertical Neck Bands After Chin Liposuction Will This Resolve?

I'm 1 month post liposuction of the chin. I had some lumps and bumpiness which seems to be going down with massage but when I lift my chin up there are visible hard vertical bands where the neck meets the chin. I'm thinking this is underlying muscular structure rather than scar tissue or swelling. Will this become less visible? Will it go away?

Neck bands

+1

If you are over forty-five, you would most likely be better off with an open surgical approach as opposed to liposuction alone. These visible muscular bands in the neck are difficult to control with Botox alone, and surgical manipulation creates the most complete and long-standing outcome in my opinion.

Neck bands

+1

Prior to the liposuction the dehiscent ( separated) platysma muscle was camaflauged. Now it has become visible with less fat covering it. The solution is either periodic Botox/Dysport injections or a submentoplasty ( repair of the muscle surgically). See what your PS says.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visible neck bands

+1

If you had successfull liposuction of the neck, underlying platysma muscle likely is closer to the skin and is visible. Surgical correction by platysmaplasty or a neck lift could improve this. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vertical neck bands after chin lipo

+1

These unfortunately will not go away. It is imperative to diagnose neck bands from loose platysma muscles prior to liposuction. At this point, you can try Botox injection in the bands. If this does not work, a neck lift with platysma plication is the answer.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vertical Neck Bands and Neck Liposuction.

+1

(Link and Liposuction Video included) The best person to ask is your plastic surgeon, so I encourage you to keep your follow-up appointments. In general, if you have vertical neck bands caused by the neck muscles, platysmal banding, liposuction will not help. Usually a neck/face lift with a platysmaplasty is needed to smooth these. If you had these bands before surgery, they will not go away after neck liposuction. If you did not have them before, they may or may not resolve depending on the cause.

In general, the fat on the neck disguises the bands. If you had visible banding before liposuction, you will have visible banding after liposuction, and they will often become more noticeable.  I you had them, but did not see them due to the amount of fat on the neck, liposuction may reveal them. In this situation, again, it will not resolve with time.

On the other hand, sometimes the normal healing scar tissue beneath the skin will form lumps and bands. This usually peaks between 3 to 6 weeks after liposuction, resolves over 3 to 6 months. If this is the case, time and massage can help. External ultrasound can also in some cases speed the resolution. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon