Vertical Incision As Part of a Body Lift?

I am having a lower body lift after losing 165 pounds through gastric bypass. The two doctors I am considering have strongly encouraged me to add a vertical incision to the abdominal portion of the body lift. How does this improve the appearance of the abdomen? Will the same pattern of skin below the belly button taken out? One doctor offered to add the vertical component to the abdomen as a second stage. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it that way?

Vertical Incision with abdominal contouring

+1

The vertical incision allows your PS to remove excess skin and tighten skin laxity in your horizontal axis.   This vertical incision can be done at the same time as your body lift or at a 2nd stage.   There is also another procedural option called a corsetplasty that utilizes the vertical scar to tighten up the waist and torso similar to the effects from a corset.   Hope this helps!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Vertical Incision As Part of a Body Lift

+1

It is not surprising that after a 165 pound weight loss that you may have more excess skin than will be treated by a standard tummy tuck or lower body lift. Those procedures will address  excess in one direction. Your surgeons feel that you also have enough excess skin that a good outcome will require remove of skin in both horizontal and vertical directions. 

Without seeing photos, which are good but nothing like an actual in person exam, I would hesitate to guess about whether to  do this in one or two stages. If I had a two stage procedure in mind, I would do the body lift with horizontal incision as the first stage, so that if the outcome were satisfactory, it would be your call as to whether or not to proceed with stage 2, the vertical lift. 

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Vertical incision after massive weight loss

+1

After losing that much weight, there is excess of skin on the abdomen in the vertical direction, but also in the horizontal direction, you can improve some of the extra skin with the horizontal scar from the lower body lift, but there is still some extra skin, that the vertical incision can remove. It is safer to do it in a second stage to decrease the risk of skin necrosis.

Juan Carlos Fuentes, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

I am surprised that you had TWO consults and you did not understand the surgery proposed. You need atleast one to one and a half hour consultation to explain all the different aspect of abdominoplasty and the scars the risks.

The vertical component to the abdominoplasty is called Fleur des lis abdominoplasty. this added when there is too much laxity in both the horizantal and vertical abdominal skin.

Taking the horizantal laxity will give a better tightness to the abdomen and better waist.

It takes a little more time to do the Fleur des lis tummy tuck, that is why the surgeon said to do it later.

If you can accept an up and down scar on the abdomen then do it if you can not accept the scat, then do not do it. If you do the fleur des lis tummy tuck then do and extended abdominoplasty and do the rest of the circumferential lift at a second stage.