Tummy Tuck - I Have a Vertical C-section Scar from 20 Yrs Ago and Several Health Concerns

I have a vertical c-section scar and lots of excess skin on my abdomen from 20 yrs ago. My conscern is the healing process. I am a type-1 diabetic. I also have had multiple DVT's over the years and am now on permanent blood thinners. I am only a little overweight but I am in fairly good health. Also, as a diabetic, I use an insulin pump and I use my abdomen as my primary insertion site. Also, any guess on how much these health issues will increase the total overall cost.

Tummy Tuck in a Type I Diabetic on blood Thinning Medication for a history of Blood Clotthing

+2

Regarding: "Tummy Tuck - I Have a Vertical C-section Scar from 20 Yrs Ago and Several Health Concerns
I have a vertical c-section scar and lots of excess skin on my abdomen from 20 yrs ago. My conscern is the healing process. I am a type-1 diabetic. I also have had multiple DVT's over the years and am now on permanent blood thinners. I am only a little overweight but I am in fairly good health. Also, as a diabetic, I use an insulin pump and I use my abdomen as my primary insertion site. Also, any guess on how much these health issues will increase the total overall cost
."

The Type I diabetes raises the risk of a Tummy Tuck, the history of DVT raises the likelihood of recurrent possibly fatal blood clots much higher making you a VERY high risk for a Tummy Tuck. If you FULLY understand that a Tummy Tuck operation may become complicated by life threatening complications and poor, ugly results AND your Hematologist (Blood doctor) agrees in writing that it is safe for you to have a Tummy Tuck and he agrees to stop the blood thinning completely for at least 72 hours - only then would I consider operating on you.

Since it appears you are cost conscious, please consider that treating complications is much more expensive than the original cosmetic surgery. In the case of infections, blood clots and wound disruption this could amount to tens of thousands of dollars.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Risk of diabetes and tumy tuck

+2

It is not your conditions that will increase the cost but more importantly will increase the risk. I would similarly not advise you to have the procedures because this would require cessation of anticoagulants which you cannot risk at this point in time

+2

From your posted medical conditions I feel you are not a candidate for elective cosmetic surgery. Sorry. Have you seen any boarded plastic surgeons in person? And please discuss with your medical doctors. I think all will agree that you are a very high risk patient. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Tummy tuck and medical conditions

+1

Some people are just not healthy enough for elective cosmetic suregery. With all your medical problems I would caution you about pursuing surgery with the potential risks involved based upon your history.

Surgery has to be avoided

+1

Since you have multiple medical issues,you are not a good candidate for any planned aesthetic surgery.Your diabetes along with recurrent DVT & PE ,means that any type of surgery/anasthesia will carry an extra risk for you.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

You are not a candidate for elective surgery

+1

You have multiple reasons to avoid elective plastic surgery . Your risk of DVT and pulmonary embolism is too high and no plastic surgeon should even think about cosmetic surgery on you.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Bad candidate for surgery

+1

You are a bad candidate for elective cosmetic surgery, mainly because of the history of DVT and blood thinners requirement. This increases your chances of recurrent DVT and/or Pulmonary embolism (PE) significantly.  Dabietes will increase your chances of having complications, mainly infection or diabetic metabolic complications. You need to schedule several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons, you will have difficulties finding a surgeon willing to operate on you, however you probably will. Before deciding be sure to consult other surgeons and remember that if most of the surgeons agree that you are a bad candidate for surgery then, you are.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon