Ventral Hernia Repair with Mesh? Also Have A Diastasis Recti (photo)

i have seen a general surgeon who diagnosed a ventral hernia.. he said he was gonna place a large piece of mesh.. is this normal to do this? i also have a large diastasis he said this will not fix that but he is using a piece of mesh that is approx 6x6 ..hernia is small and is a little above my belly button.. is there a reason for doing this? or is that to help with the diastasis as well?? i am really confused and he didnt explain anything very well.. he is doing it laprascopic. other options??

Ventral hernia repair and Diastasis

+1

I would consult with a plastic surgeon. Frequently, when the two speak to one another the outcome can be much better, provided that you have communicated your goals, desires and concerns appropriately. Diastasis repairs are done as open surgeries and are not covered by insurance but a portion of the anesthesia may be covered depending on your insurance.

Ventral hernia repair may not cover the diastasis

+1

Your general surgeon will be focused on the small ventral hernia, and the mesh may be the appropriate approach. It is unlikely that he will repair the diastasis as this is an uncovered procedure from an insurance standpoint. A consult with a plastic surgeon may help you sort things out.

Hernias, diastasis and plastic surgery

+1

You should really have a consultation with a plastic surgeon. Unfortunately, many Dr.s will discuss treatment of certain problems based on what the insurance companies pay for. In this case insurance pays for fixing a hernia. The mesh size sounds appropriate. To correct all the problems you may need what would be described as a full tummy tuck. Insurance will not pay for this but it will fix the diastasis and the excess skin that will result. In addition most plastic surgeons will be able to fix the ventral hernia, possibly without using the mesh.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Did you have tummy tuck ?

+1

I can see scar  which is consistent with tummy tuck. You still have diastasis and umbilical hernia. You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon who had general surgery before plastic surgery  for evaluation and treatment. You do not need mesh and redo tummy tuck will take care of it.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon